1.10 Hell Falls

"Rarity isn't back yet," Stated Ezra, who was thankfully up and walking despite his lingering nausea. "I'm worried, Jasper."

    Jasper swallowed hard and turned to the other teen. As he thought of a reply, his gaze shifted to the sky. The clouds were a dark gray, though bright green neon-colored lightning spread throughout them, threatening to strike the ground below. His brows furrowed. It didn't take a genius to know it wasn't normal.

    "Ezra, I need you to announce to everyone that there's a nasty storm and to get in their tents," Jasper said.

    Ezra didn't question it, "Hey! Look at the sky and get in your tents!"

    They broke into scattered chatter before obeying, the sound of the snow crinkling beneath their feet filling the air. Some went into tents with people they considered new friends or acquaintances while others preferred to be alone. Jasper and Ezra managed to squeeze together. The curly-haired teen rubbed his shoulder as Jasper zipped the tent.

    "She probably found shelter somewhere from the storm," Jasper suggested.

    "I hope so." Ezra agreed.

    "How do you feel?"

    "Like I was stabbed in the shoulder with snake venom and my boyfriend was murdered," He replied bluntly before shrugging, "A bit better, I guess."

    Jasper wasn't sure how to reply, though Ezra's mind was full of words now that he finally had a chance to talk to the leader.

    "What went on in your head that made you think you could take Aster Anson's leadership?"

    Jasper was seemingly startled by the question, "What?"

    "You're the only person who stood up to Aster, yet you can't raise your voice above what a teacher would call an 'indoor voice'." He paused, "Something isn't adding up here."

    "I knew Dahlia was going to be with me, so I wasn't worried about my voice. Just my decisions. Which I've clearly failed at." Jasper sharply sighed, feeling his heart sink into his gut.

    "Not all of it, I think."

    "Well, I don't know. The only reason I offered my leadership was that everybody hates Aster for what he did in space -- so do I."

    Ezra shrugged, "None of us have ever been down here. None of us should be expected to always do the right thing. I guess it's more about morality. Aster can't get rid of what he did on the ship, but I guess I expected him to at least be more empathetic."

    "Yeah. Dahlia should be here right now. Is it dumb that I blame myself for Blaire and Dahlia's disappearance?" Jasper began to play sheepishly with his fingers.

    "I blame myself for Moon's death. Hell, I can blame myself for Blaire and Dahlia, too. The fact of the matter is you can blame yourself for anything, Jasper. But the only people to blame are the ones who killed them. Don't be so hard on yourself, man." Ezra gave him a forced reassuring smile.

    Jasper took a moment to think about it -- and decided Ezra's words were true. Though, he continued to doubt his leadership and even began to consider simply giving it to Aster. If he managed to return, that is.

    Rain began to pelt down, bouncing off their tents. They could hear light sizzling sounds as the droplets met with the snow and it created an uneasy feeling. They were always taught that rain was cold, yet this was surely beyond hot and almost acidic considering its green tint they could spot dripping off the outsides of their shelter.