1.8 Burn It Down

They woke up to a light layer of white covering the grass.

    Aster's hands were still numb from shoveling out their fire pit with his fingers and re-lighting it. The teenagers cluttered around it, desperate for warmth. All arms were extended towards the flames, teeth chattering and goosebumps ridding their skin.

    "I fucking hate this," Ezra commented.

    He had thankfully gotten a lot better overnight, even without the anti-venom. Rarity had never been more relieved, but she still had worries. Not about Ezra, but Blaire. The thought of her possibly alive and trying to survive alone in the bitter cold brought tears to her eyes. Perhaps she shouldn't have listened to Aster the night before and went out for her anyway. That way, Blaire would be beside her, alive, warm, with comfort and tents.

    "Aster," Jasper called out to the genius. "Can you come here?"

    Together, they walked away from the others to talk privately.

    "Are you still doing something about Moon today?" Asked Jasper.

    Aster shrugged, "Even if Ezra wanted to visit him, you really think he knows the way back?"

    They glanced back at the sleep-deprived, curly-haired teen that wore a frown.

    "It's the thought that counts, I guess."

    "Sure."

    Jasper began to play with his hands as he spoke, "I'd still like if you went back to your dropship. We forgot a medkit."

    "Alright. I'll get on it. Anything else, your honor?"

    "I guess, just... keep your eyes peeled." Jasper's tone was more questioning as if asking for Aster's approval. "We still have people missing--"

    "With a civilization out there, I'm sure they're dead," Aster stated. "I'll bring Ezra with me. He needs the walk."

    Jasper shook his head, "Maybe you should bring Rarity. She needs a walk."

    "Rarity?"

    "Yeah. Maybe when you take her out, and she doesn't find Blaire," Jasper swallowed hard and continued, "She'll accept it."

    He feared his own words. He couldn't believe he was uttering such hopelessness, though his mind remained hopeful. Perhaps the only thing he wanted was Aster's validation and approval.

    Aster's features expressed a bit of surprise for a split second before resting, "Nice. I'll take her then. When I get back, let's talk. I think you made a good decision asking for my help -- for once. Keep it up, chief."

    Jasper's throat grew dry, "Thanks."

    And in all honesty, Aster was chosen because he was the only option. Rarity was his first choice, but she was already busy being the only teenager with medical experience. The only other person he knew was Ezra, and he was clearly not in a state for leadership. Aster had only doubted him since his start and tore him down in hopes of gaining his power back -- even if he didn't vocalize it, he knew Aster's intention. As long as Aster liked his decisions, he would be on his good side.

    "Hey," Aster called out to the blonde as he approached her.

    She stood from her crouching position and cleared snow from her hands, "What?"

    "Jasper wants us to go back to the dropship and get a forgotten medkit."

    Rarity arched a brow, "Us? I can't just leave, who's going to keep an eye on Ezra? What if something happens and I'm not--"