Madeline

Madeline was smart beyond belief.
She had sleek, black hair, almond shaped eyes, and round Harry Potter like glasses.
She listened to Paul McCarthy and Bruce Springsteen.
She let me copy some of her notes.
She whispered insults about other classmates under her breath.
She didn't know I could hear her and I thought they were funny.
Sometimes, she doodled stars in the margins of her notebook.
Sometimes, she chewed on her pencil's erasers.
Sometimes, she stared hopelessly at Elijah Bradey with heart eyes and soft sighs.
I didn't think that was quite as funny.
Madeline had a tattoo of a butterfly on her left ankle.
Madeline had an apparent fear of her mother's wrath.
Madeline blew kisses at me when a lecture ended as a goodbye.
She had an unhealthy obsession with Dylan O'Brian and a passionate hatred towards YouTube personalities.
She never had a pet growing up and had a singing voice like Lana Del Rey's.
She took a fragment of my heart and hid it in the lining of her skirt every time she'd stare dreamily at a boy for a little too long
My frown would fall deeper whenever I caught sight of the shirtless Chirs Hemsworth or young Leo DiCaprio posters hanging on her dorm walls.
Madeline tattooed her name on my chest when I wasn't looking when she would talk boys to me.
She refused to pay for the removal surgery when she finally befriended Elijah.
She cried to me when he rejected her first confession, I cried to my roommate when he accepted her last.
Madeline continued to be part of my friend circle- along with my roommate, Adeline, Haruko, Imani, and Lincoln.
But I always grew distant when she brought a new boyfriend along.