xvii. the supercanary duo

17 | THE SUPERCANARY DUO

Oliver, Barry, Kara and Sara were all temporarily hidden under a shelter, trying to come up with a plan to stop the Avengers from attacking them and convince them that they weren't the bad guys.

Kara sat on the ground with her arms around her knees, her cape wrapped around herself like a protective blanket as she shivered. Wanda had messed her mind and now she couldn't think clearly as images of all her loved ones laying lifeless before her eyes clouded her mind.

"I'll stay with her until she gets a bit better from whatever that teenager had done to her. You two go ahead and carry out with the plan," Sara said while Oliver and Barry nodded before the two disappeared in a blur of red.

Sara took a seat next to a quivering Kara who mumbled phrases in what the ex-assassin figured as kryptonese. She enveloped the kryptonian in a warm hug to stop her body from shaking.

"Hey, hey. Everything's alright. Whatever she did to you wasn't real," Sara comforted her in a soft voice and Kara's dull sapphire eyes stared into hers.

In all her years of knowing the kryptonian, Sara had never seen Kara in such a broken state. The once cheerful kryptonion who was full of hope looked so hopeless and it broke the ex-assassin's heart to see her in this state. 

"Kara, breathe. Everything's okay, just breath." Sara rubbed Kara's back as the kryptonian's breathing slowly returned to normal with the reassurance of one of her best friends.

"It was all my fault," Kara muttered.

"What was?" Sara asked softly.

"You were all dead because of me. I was useless," the kryptonian choked out while Sara shook her head, pulling her into a tight hug.

"That's nonsense, Kara. You're the most strongest person I've ever met. Not just physically but mentally as well," Sara told her. "You've never let your past pull you down and you strive to help everyone you can no matter what they think of you, and that's why you're the girl of steel. You can bend but you'll never break, and that's what I love about you the most. You're the best hero anyone could ask for and a greater best friend."

Kara cracked a small smile. "Really? You really think so?"

"Yes. Now why don't we show those Avengers never to mess with the girl of steel?" Sara asked, offering a hand to Kara, who accepted it as she was pulled to her feet.

"Never knew you were so good at giving a pep talk," Kara stated, her eyes returning back to its lively shade of sapphire. 

Sara playfully punched Kara's shoulder. "Shut up. I'm great at everything."

Kara chuckled before her expression turned somewhat serious. "The girl who messed with my mind, Wanda, she looked through my memories. Before Barry broke us out of her magic, she realised that we weren't the enemies."

"You sure we can trust her?" Sara asked. "After what she did to you?"

Kara nodded. "When she was looking through my mind, I somehow managed to look through hers as well. She's been through a lot, Sara. She can help convince her team that we aren't here to hurt them."

"Alright then, you should try to find her after we help Oliver and Barry out who are currently being surrounded by most of the Avengers," Sara agreed, and Kara grabbed her before flying off with her in a blur of blue and red.

Kara could see that the Avengers were gaining the upper hand against Oliver and Barry, surrounding them. They all were about to shoot at the two at the same time, knowing they wouldn't be able to dodge them all at once.

The kryptonian landed protectively in front of the speedster and the emerald archer with Sara beside them. Barry rushed to intercept with all the bullets and blasts but Kara knew he wouldn't able to catch them all in time.

Kara lifted her arms up and smacked her hands together, a blast of vibrational waves emitting from the force of her hand clap. The bullets shattered and the repulsor blast from Tony was sent back at the billionaire, the second the shockwave collided with them.

All the Avengers there stared at Kara in pure shock and were flabbergasted. Even Barry and Oliver were startled at Kara's power while Sara smirked, fist bumping the kryptonian.

"You stormed the castle without us?" Kara couldn't help but grin at Sara's comment.

"Did you really just quote Princess Bride?" Barry asked with a raised eyebrow but he too was smiling.

"What? I always wanted to say it." Sara shrugged before turning to the kryptonian.

"Go find her, we can handle it here," Sara told Kara, who nodded before flying off.

"Where's she going?" Oliver asked, notching an arrow into his bow.

"Hopefully to stop this mess," Sara stated as the three got into a fighting stance before engaging into combat with the Avengers.