Mother | Show

Inspired by a true event.

▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️

Kai groaned, massaging his neck as he unceremoniously fell back onto the couch. He let out a deep sigh, his fatigued arms loosening the tight straps on his gi that held his accessory weapons in place.

"Rough day?" came a gentle, kind voice from his right.

Glancing in the said direction, he nodded drowsly at Misako. The old woman sat there, file papers and documents littered all around her.

"What happened?" she asked, stacking up old, yellowed photographs of ancient relics that she had been examining earlier.

"Nothing," Kai mumbled tiredly, rubbing his aching biceps. "Just had a little run in with some bad guys while on patrol. Trouble makers turned out to be stronger than we anticipated."

He paused to remove his sweaty gloves off his hands, discarding them onto his lap. "Gave 'em all we got. Cole's a bit injured but Nya and Zane are looking him over. Lloyd's fine though, so you have nothing to worry about."

Kai closed his eyes as his little rant ended. His sixth sense indicated that he had missed something so he proceeded to open them again. The brunet raised an eyebrow when he noticed Misako regarding him with an unimpressed look.

"What?" he muttered.

Misako observed him a little longer before taking up Kai's gloves and placing them neatly on the coffee table. "I would appreciate it if you inform me of everyone's well-being and not just specifically of my son."

Kai pretended to be shocked, widening his eyes and making a face. "I didn't know unbiasedness was a mother's thing."

"And why is that?"

The red ninja shrugged. "I dunno. I always thought that mothers favoured their children over everything else."

The woman looked slightly offended at that statement. She humphed, picking up a staple gun and pinning together various papers. "If I were to favour Lloyd over everything else, I never would've left him at that school."

Kai bit his lip, mentally slapping himself for expressing his apparently wrong opinion on the matter. "Sheesh, sorry. Didn't mean to offend you or anything."

"It's alright," Misako said quietly, much more occupied with her paperwork. "You should rest."

Grateful at being let off easily without a lecture, the young man respired deeply, relaxing his muscles, before resting his head back against the soft cushions.

And soon enough, he drifted off into dreamland.

. . .

Maya's motherly fragrance comforted him. Her loving embrace protected him. Her soothing voice washed away every aspect of tiredness from his body as he lay in bed with her.

Kai buried his face into her chest, his short arm stretched around her in a hug. Maya ran her hand through his hair, humming a familiar tune that lulled him to sleep.

His baby sister's faint snores issued out of her crib. Nya, who had been fussing a few minutes ago, was now hushed by her mother's sweet, melodious voice.