Ginny and Georgia: The Younger Shadow

Chapter 7-Home
The silence inside the car was deafening. Mom had refused to say a word, but when I complained some more, she finally cracked.
"Virginia here was caught shoplifting. But those other two girls she was with got away with it. The shopkeeper only checked Ginny. Racially profiling, I think" she sniffed. My heart literally skipped a beat. My sister? Steal?
"Really? Abby and Norah just ditched you up, Ginny? Why'd you steal?"
"You know those girls too, Charlie?" Mom asked. I'd forgotten she was with us for a split second.
"Yeah. I'm friends with their younger sisters. We had lunch with them all today." Abs at my mom's gobsmacked face, I filled her in with the day's events. She was pleased I'd fitted in with such a "camaraderie", but Ginny sat in stony silence at the back. Since we'd moved in with Kenny, our relationship hadn't been the same. Ginny seemed so distant all the time, just faded into the background. Why had abs shoplifted? I knew her too well to know the fancy dresses and shoes didn't interest her in the slightest. All Ginny wanted were more art books and pencils to use for drawing. "Why did you do it?" I whispered under my breath. At first I didn't think she would reply, but then: "I wanted to fit in, Charlie. Without Max there, I didn't think they wanted me tagging along with them."
"And see how quickly that scary redhead threw you under the bus, Virginia? They are NOT your friends. They were using you to blame someone if their shoplifting was caught."
"Mom, please, I'm tired." Ginny protested, leaning her head on the window and acting like she really was fatigued.
"Aww, criminal activity tucker you out?"
My mom really could roast and put people in their place. That shut my sister up real quick.
"Mom, have you gotten any job interviews?"
"Don't you worry about that, Peach. As a matter of fact, I have gotten a job at the major's office with Paul Randolph. The people in town hall liked my ideas for Wellsbury; so now I'll have a steady income instead of leaning on a man for everything."
We had barely been in the town for 24 hours abs she's already gotten such a great job.
"That's great,mom! I'm so pleased" I added.
"I love you both so much, you know. We Millers, we still look out for each other."
"Mom, was I really racially profiled if I did do it?"Ginny asked, and I realised that was what had been eating at her mind.
"I don't know, honey. But one thing is for certain: those girls ditched and left you to fend for yourself. Sometimes you can't get too close to anyone. Never let your guard down." We had always taught to be independent, to never trust anyone. Because all people use you, was what my mother said. But my new friends seemed genuine. They'd even added me to the group chat, where we were going to discuss plans to sneak into sophomore sleepover.