Ginny and Georgia: The Younger Shadow

Chapter 39- Punishment
"She started it! She said racist things and called my mom a stripper, and said she got mixed up with the wrong kind! She's the messed up one!" We has recently gotten a new principal after our old one left to start a school in Nepal, so here was Mrs Robinson. She looked pretty shaken, and had only been at this substantial job for a few days.
"Miss Rogers, it is true that you did do this. I will be calling your parents. You should know we don't tolerate any racist behaviour or comments. Quite frankly, Charlotte was right to defend her family. That was extremely disgusting. Please leave the school premises. You will be getting a month's suspension and the school board will discuss whether or not you will be getting expelled. Our school is diverse and has a range of cultures. Perhaps while you are home you can arrange to educate yourself on these matters. Your words hurt. And do you know why? Because you didn't just offend Charlotte and her family, but millions of other people. Please leave the office. Now." I was blown away by the force of Mrs Robinson's voice. It was really orotund, and Willow grabbed her bag, hitting my foot quite hard as she fumbled for it. She hadn't spoken a word or even tried to defend herself while I explained what happened. Did she even feeel bad? Feel any remorse? The door shut with a little click, and Mrs Robinson relaxed in her chair. She had beady amber eyes that watched me even as I watched Willow.
"Um, shall I go?" I asked tentatively, but Mrs Robinson put her hand on mine.
"Charlie, I understand you moved here in the start of the school year with your sister Virginia and brother Austin. And your mom, Georgia. Well, I don't know if the last principal bothered to ask you, but how do you feel about Wellsbury? There are unfortunately ignorant people like Miss Rogers in this world. It is harsh, and judges you for everything that you do."
"I'm doing well, Mrs Robinson. I have good friends."
"Who are they then?" She asked, propping her silver, thick glasses onto her crooked nose.
Should I include Kara? I decided to anyway.
"Uh, Aria Littman, Madison Baker and Kara Nilsson."
"Quite a tight knit group of girls you have there! Aren't they the younger sisters of Abigail Littman, Maxine Baker and Norah Nilsson?"
"Yeah. My sister is in their friend group." I fidgeted in my seat and looked at the room more properly. Mrs Robinson probably hadn't had much time to decorate it was my initial thought, but the office looked nothing like how Abby had described it to us. And she had been here so many times she told us she could name everything in the office. Before, Abby had told us it was quite dull and dark, with not much life apart from the principal. It had dark, mahogany chairs, maps of the world which Abby said she traced to avoid herself falling into a deep sleep, and that there was often mountains of paperwork by the large oak desk. But now, all I could see, covering the inch of every wall in the office, was drawings made by students, no matter how talented it was. There were azure blue skies and hot, dazzling sun, pictures of smart dogs and cheeky cats, which I found myself staring at, mesmerised.
"Do you like them? Some of them are from the old school I taught at as well. Just because those memories are so precious." Mrs Robinson gave me a kindly look, and I saw the office looked a bit more alive. There were colourful rubbers and achievements of students, which I thought was nice.
"Before you go, Charlotte-"
"It's Charlie." I corrected.
"My mistake. Charlie. What I want to say is even though what Willow said hurt you, and I understand why, If you ever hear someone say such things, I want you to tell a teacher or trusted adult, not to hurt them. Because then it makes you low, and regret, and hurt. I won't give a detention for now because I know you're still a good student. You get good grades and you work hard, such several teachers have come by to tell me. But if you ever have at problems, I want you to know you can come to me. Ok?" Mrs Robinson's breath smelled like mints and burnt coffee, and I desperately wanted to cover my mouth so her stench wouldn't get into me. But I was grateful for her, and I hoped she saw it in my eyes.
"Thank you, Mrs Robinson. Oh, I am wondering if I could ask you a question?"
"Be my guest." She took a long sip of coffee and smacked her lips pleasantly.
"Well, I was wondering if you know someone who works in the Wellsbury newspaper, since they sometimes do articles on school renovation and new job positions. A man called Jonathan Atley? It's just because he's an old family member. An uncle  in law, you could say. And I've been meaning to contact him him but my mom forgot his number. She lost her phone, you see." I hoped that was convincing enough for her.
"Oh. I do happen to know Jon Atley. He made a few articles on us getting a new climbing frames and sports equipment through the charity sale just before I got my job here, and he lives near here in Wellsbury. He's always interviewing residents for news. Got a taste for stories, that man." I thanked her politely and walked out of the office, my brain whirring. I was excited for once. Excited to see what happened. And I knew what to do next. But I knew Mrs Robinson was going to call mom about what had happened to Willow, which I dreaded. What would she say?