Chapter 3

Nathaniel was not enjoying today.

Left and right they swayed, they sighed, they batted their eyelashes tauntingly, but none of it was in his direction. It was all for him.

"Hi, Kim!"

"Hey, Kim!"

Kim winked and smiled at all of the girls the two Isle boys passed, Nathaniel groaning as they fell for his supposed charms one right after the other.

"Why do you insist on torturing them," Nathaniel hissed as one more girl from their chemistry class sighed under the weight of Kim's roguish smile. "Just pick someone to take to cotillion already."

"And break the rest of their hearts?" Kim pressed a hand to his chest, feigning a look of horror as he stared down his red-headed friend. "I could never. I'm going solo. That way I can dance with all of them."

"Ah, so you've already got it all figured out," Nathaniel sighed, wishing he could say the same. He wasn't as... charismatic as Kim. He knew he didn't catch the eye of every girl he encountered, nor was he as boisterous as most of the other boys his age. His innate shyness also didn't help boost his self-esteem when it came to talking to the fairer sex, especially one girl in particular. Marinette and Alya were easy, they had grown up in the streets of the Isle together and roamed their parents' fortress late into the night with only each other as company. Auradon girls, however, were not Marinette and Alya and were a different beast entirely.

He glanced at Kim, taking in all of his self-confidence and how he walked with his shoulders back, head held high. He had a feeling he was going to regret his next step, but he would never have answers if he didn't try.

"Uh, Kim..." Nathaniel started softly, not knowing how to approach the subject in the slightest. He fidgeted with his worn leather gloves, picking at the fraying finger tips as he looked anywhere but at Kim. "If you were to ask someone... what's the best way to go?"

Kim paused on the outdoor causeway, turning abruptly on his heel to face Nathaniel head on. Nathaniel tried not to cringe at the serious look in Kim's eye as he set his hand on the redheads' shoulder.

"Listen," Kim started, his eyes trained in on Nathaniel intently. "All you gotta do... is look like me."

Nathaniel deflated immediately, shaking Kim's hand from his shoulder with a frustrated chuff. "Oh ha-ha, very funny."

"So, who's the poison apple of your eye, Nathaniel?" Kim said teasingly, reaching over to give a quick pinch of Nathaniel's pale cheek before it was swatted away.

"N-No one," Nathaniel tried to say, his voice failing him as he stuttered. He couldn't deny now that yes, he did have someone special he wanted to ask to cotillion, but to tell Kim just wasn't the answer.

Until she walked right past him.

Nathaniel almost stumbled over his feet as Sabrina rushed past him in her periwinkle skirt and matching pale colored sweater. Her hot pink heeled sandals clicked across the stone causeway towards where Marinette and Alya stood idly talking during their passing period.

"Marinette -" Sabrina started, pen and clipboard in hand, only to have Nathaniel stop her by speaking up.

"Hey, Sabrina," Nathaniel called after her, making the Auradon girl spin on her heels to look him dead in the eye. The sudden attention made Nathaniel's courage and voice dry up as he stood rigid beside Kim. His friend gave a soft groan before nudging Nathaniel forward with a firm kick to the shin.

"Hi, Nathaniel!" Sabrina said in a chipper tone that could only come from someone related to the ever optimistic Fairy Godmother.

Nathaniel gave a firm gulp, his throat feeling like sandpaper as he tried to find his voice. Luckily, Kim's never seemed to fail him.