Chapter 9

Located towards the island center and in the middle of the market alleys and shabby shacks, Lady Tremaine's Hair Salon, Curl Up and Dye, sat empty and closed. A sign swung lazily on one of the door handles indicating that the shop wouldn't be truly opened until the stroke of midnight. That didn't stop the bold VK from pulling the unlocked door open and entering the salon without hesitation or a look over her shoulder.

Curl Up and Dye was by no means the cleanest place, even by the Isle's low standards. From floor to ceiling, every surface was splattered in colorful paint and dye from haphazard hair jobs, manicures and pedicures. Dye bubbled and smoked in vats sat over a misplaced bathtub, wigs hung from the ceiling while a broken and battered tea kettle huffed and puffed away on a back stove. The shop was empty, save for the dummy heads who wore the example wigs, and the two teens having an oddly placed tea party.

The young girl and boy were sat up in two stylist chairs twisted to face each other, a wobbly table tilting to and fro in front of them. The small table was stacked high with sandwiches and treats, things most likely stolen or hoarded from past events, while the two drank from chipped and stained tea cups. A stray mouse or two danced and carried sugar cubes to either person while sneaking bites from biscuits. Marinette couldn't help but smile at the scene. It was good to know that some things hadn't changed while she was traipsing around Auradon.

Manon was in the middle of laughing at one of Marc's notoriously ridiculous stories when she caught sight of Marinette standing in the entryway to the shop. The young girl's brown eyes lit up, Marinette noticing the familiar gap between her friend's two front teeth.

"Marinette!" Manon exclaimed, leaping from her seat, her spinning chair almost sending the table toppling over with it. Marc scrambled to catch the various cups and cakes while his mice clung to his jacket sleeves. Manon's twin pigtails bounced in time as she jumped in place. "I can't believe you're back!"

"A shock to say the least," Marc commented, smiling as he too rose from his seat, slower than Manon as to not upset the table. As he stood, his mice disappeared up his sleeves, their time spent as the tea party entertainment clearly done for the day. There was a hopeful gleam to his eye as he considered Marinette, hope that she knew was not meant for her. "Is Nathaniel with you?"

Marinette sighed, twisting at the silver skull ring on her right hand. She had left Adrien's ring back in Auradon, and while the sturdy tarnished silver was about the same size, it still didn't feel right. "Sorry, Marc, Nath is still back on the Isle. I'm afraid it's only me."

Marc deflated some, but Manon merely puffed up her cheeks as she grabbed at Marinette's hands.

"And we're perfectly happy with that!" Manon affirmed, casting a glare in Marc's direction. The young man straightened some, twisting his fingers together.

"Yes, of course!" Marc said sheepishly, his smile awkward. "Very happy to have you back, Marinette."

"Now there's someone to teach that stupid pirate a thing or two!" Manon growled, balling up her fists as she scrunched her nose. "They've gotten way out of line you know!"

Marinette smiled at her tenacity. Manon had always been a spitfire, something that Marinette and Alya had loathed when they had to babysit her as a child, but it was something to appreciate now. Marinette at least didn't have to worry about her getting pushed around.

Marinette took a careful step over the locks of cut off hair and trimmings, looking lazily around the shop with a soft smile. "Well, the place looks good, Manon." She gave the two Isle teens a sly smile. "Besides the unauthorized tea parties."

Marc rubbed his neck, still looking sheepish as Marinette took a biscuit from their picnic. "Better than sticking around the bookshop. I can only hear so many of my dad's stories before going, well... mad."