Chapter 21

"Nathaniel, now!" Marinette cried to the redhead. He had climbed up onto a set of crates, sending Plagg fleeing. From his satchel he produced a slingshot and a smoke bomb, letting loose the projectile at the dock and sending up a cloud of bright purple smoke. Under the cover of the smoke, Marinette was now evenly matched with the pirates stumbling out one by one, dazed and ultimately overpowered. She sent more that a few of them flying into the bay.

Behind them, Kim and Kagami had set up a second line of defense that Alya and Adrien went scurrying behind as Nathaniel let off smoke bomb after smoke bomb on the Devil's Bayou. Alya fumbled through a barrel before producing one of many swords, shoving the blade into the young king's hands. From the deck of the boat, Max had started calling orders to the crew, the strategist keeping far from the action as the dock became a battle ground.

"Do I want to know why you have this many weapons?" Adrien stammered as Alya drew her own weapon.

"Your dad took away magic, not blacksmiths," Alya said flatly before pushing Adrien back into the fray. "Now come on, we have wharf rats to wrangle."

The dock to the Devil's Bayou and the ramshackle docks that were affixed to the island edge exploded into chaos. Shop owners and their customers fled while the pirates swarmed in after Marinette and her friends. The enemy was before them and growing in number while the drainage pipe leading to the limo and their escape was just behind. They needed to cut back the number of pursuers if they wanted a chance at making it back to Auradon without any tagalongs.

Marinette parried and dodged the incoming swipes of one or two pirates, throwing one more into the bay while another managed to slip past her, heading after Adrien, their one bargaining chip, who stood waiting. They were stopped before they managed to make it half the distance, Kagami lunging forward, and in one swift swing unarming the approaching pirate. Moments later, they were heaved up and thrown into a pile of crates by Kim, crashing into them and not rising again. The two gave a quick high five to another before they turned back to the approaching force.

Closer to the steam boat, Juleka had finally taken to the battlefield. She had her own sword in hand, the blade curved like an Arabian weapon with the hilt inlaid with shells, and it was leveled at Marinette's head.

"You!" The sea witch howled and spat as she marched closer and closer to Marinette. "You do not get to win every time!"

"Oh, then why does it keep happening?" Marinette retorted, feigning innocence as she cocked her head towards Juleka. This only proved to make her even angrier, the taller girl lashing out with her blade and using it to crash down onto Marinette. Her swing was off however, her anger causing her to misstep and allow Marinette enough time to dodge, slamming the butt of her sword into Juleka's ribs.

"Sloppy, sloppy, Juleclam," Marinette sung as their back and forth continued, Juleka's swings were wild and unfocused while Marinette used her anger against her.

Back towards the drain pipe, Nathaniel had hopped onto another pirate's back, wrestling him to the ground before scrambling after another that had gotten far too close to their exit for anybody's liking. They were low on smoke bombs, and if they were going to make the grand escape they had panned, he'd have to preserve what they had left.

He spun to look at Plagg where he sat watching all the chaos as if it were some hilarious drama.

"Get back to the car!" Nathaniel commanded as he back peddled to where Alya and Adrien were caught up in a bout with Alix and another pirate. "No detours!"

He caught the briefest eye roll from his feline companion before he turned back to the problem at hand. Nathaniel drew a sword from their hidden cache of weapons before leaping into the fray after his friends.