Chapter 26

Music poured from the speakers as people jumped and danced on the boat deck, laughter and joy mingling together under the fairy lights. Alya spun in Nino's arms, feeling like she was dancing on air while Nathaniel twirled Sabrina. Nearby, Kagami and Kim were fighting over who got to lead while they danced, grinning nonetheless. All around them, students were having the time of their lives, mingling and grinning with the Isle kids like they had been with them all their lives.

Eventually the music started to die down, a tall, willowy-built older gentleman appearing n a royal couriers uniform at the top of the stern side stairs in a spotlight. Down either side of the stairwell, trumpeters took their place before letting out a sharp announcing blast to get everyone's attention. At the top, Lumiere cleared his throat before speaking out over the crowd with a proud smile.

"Announcing, the future Lady Marinette," he cried before stepping to the side revealing Marinette decked out in purple and yellow waiting just behind him. Alya saw her squint as the spotlight blinded her, her gloved hands clenching the front brocade of her dress. It wasn't her style to say the least with the large full skirt, bright yellow silk overlaid with purple lacing and appliqués, not to mention the purple cape that trailed behind her. Lumiere stepped to her side, whispering something in Marinette's ear that made her friend smile. Only later would Alya learn he had been whispering 'You work it, girl'.

The silence was deafening and Alya knew that wasn't making her best friend any less nervous. Time to change that. Alya slipped her fingers into her mouth before letting out a long whistle, just like her dad had taught her when it came to calling a crew to attention. She grinned as Marinette turned her startled electric blue eyes towards where her friends were gathered at the front of the crowd.

"Get it, Marinette!" Alya cried as she started clapping frenziedly, the boys quickly following suit with whoops and yells of their own. It wasn't long before the crowd of students had erupted into a roar of clapping and cheering on Marinette's behalf. The blue-haired girl in the overly yellow dress smiled nervously, but Alya could already tell she was feeling better now that the tension had been broken. With one more reassuring smile from Lumiere, Marinette started to descend the stairs. Halfway down, Adrien's father Gabriel met her with an extended hand to help her the rest of the way.

"Hello," he said with a gentle smile as they made their way to the small landing where his wife was waiting.

"Hi," Marinette returned shakily.

"Adrien is on his way," the former king explained as they finally reached where Emilie was waiting.

"Okay," Marinette nodded, her nerves suddenly ramping up again. Adrien was on his way. The mere thought of him seeing her like this stirred butterflies in her stomach. They had finally come to a stop when Gabriel gave her hand a reassuring squeeze. He was smiling, lines creasing around his eyes as he considered her from behind his glasses.

"And you look beautiful," he complimented. The comment made Marinette smile in spite of herself. Somehow he had known exactly what she needed to hear in that moment.

"Thank you," she said sheepishly before Emilie reached out to take her hands. The former queen was in a shimmery gold gown that made her hair glow like a halo about her head, her crown sparkling in the fairy lights. With her golden visage, Marinette couldn't help but think how different they were, this regal queen and the anxious girl from the streets. Still, the older woman didn't look at her with disdain as others might have, instead smiling at her warmly.

"I know we were shocked at first, but you -" Emilie suddenly seemed at a loss for words as she beamed, squeezing the young girls hands. "You are exactly what Adrien needs."