Chapter 5

After his shower and eating dinner with Itachi, Sasuke headed back to his room. He hesitated at the door, his hand hovering over the doorknob. He took a deep breath and opened the door.

Looking over to the window, he was disappointed. Naruto wasn't there like he had hoped. Not that Sasuke was that surprised. He just desperately wanted to see his blond again.

Sasuke turned off the light and climbed into his bed. He was leaned against the headboard, his knees to his chest, staring out of his bedroom window. Something about the night helped him to calm down.

Sasuke stayed like that for a while until he realized he wasn't tired at all. Getting out of bed, Sasuke grabbed his favorite hoodie. It was one that Naruto had gotten him for his birthday a couple of years ago. It was solid black and had an intricate blue and orange designed circle on the front.

Sasuke walked over to his window and unlocked it. Once it was open, he took in the night breeze and climbed out. He couldn't help but chuckle at the fact that yet again, he was doing something he and Naruto used to do all the time.

They would climb out of Sasuke's window on a night calm night, like tonight, and just sit on the roof. Sometimes they would talk for hours and other times they would sit in complete silence. This was something that both of the boys enjoyed: each-others company. There was no pressure.

Climbing up to the spot on the roof, Sasuke was a bit surprised, but overjoyed to yet again see the blond. Even if it was just his imagination or memories, Sasuke didn't care. He wanted some type of hope to hold onto. Naruto glanced over at the raven and let out a small smile.

Sasuke sat in his usual spot next to the other male. Nothing was said for a few moments as they both just admired the view from their seats.

"Sasuke, can I ask you a weird question?" Naruto was the first to break the silence.

"Yeah?" Sasuke looked over, confused. Normally Naruto would just blurt it out, he never really asked.

"What are you most afraid of in life?"

Sasuke took a moment to register what Naruto had asked. This came out of nowhere and he wasn't sure why he was being asked. He faced forward again and looked up towards the sky. "Death" was the only words that came to mind.

Naruto let out a small laugh. "You know, I used to think that too"

Sasuke looked over at Naruto, concerned with the tone that was laced in the blond's remark. Their eyes met briefly until Naruto looked away and continued.

"Being here now.. death doesn't seem so scary anymore."

Sasuke didn't know how to reply. "Naruto.."

"You know what mine is?" Sasuke didn't have a chance to respond before Naruto spoke again.

"Being alone."

Something about that answer, stabbed Sasuke right through the chest. He pulled his knees to his chest and rested his chin on his knees. He thought back to what he had said during their fight.

"Naruto.. I-I'm-" Sasuke was stumbling over his words and Naruto cut him off.

"I've always been alone. I never had anyone who cared about me. No one to talk to about my problems. No one cared if I lived or died. It never made sense to me why I feared death in that sense instead of being alone." Naruto looked over to the raven, mimicking his pose, but leaning his head to the side to look at Sasuke.

He smiled and spoke, "That was until I met you."

Sasuke's eyes widened as he felt the tears develop in his eyes. "Naruto, I'm so sorry. I treated you so bad" his voice was trembling.

Naruto held his pained smile and never looked away. "You're the only one who cared. You're the only one who took the time to get to know me"

The more Naruto spoke, the more painful it became to listen. But that was the problem, Sasuke hadn't listened. That's how Naruto ended up in this situation in the first place. No matter what it was that was said, Sasuke was going to listen now.

He heard a small chuckle and looked over to the smiling blond. "I don't think you have ever been this quiet, Teme."

"Naruto, do you have any regrets?" Sasuke spoke before he even realized what he said.

Shifting his gaze and looking back towards the night sky, Naruto sighed. "That's why I'm still here"

"What do you mean?"

"I told you, I'm stuck right now. I'm neither dead nor alive. There is something that wanted to tell someone, but I never had the opportun.. well, I did. But I chose not to" Naruto was speaking in a soft voice, but Sasuke could sense the pain.

"What was it?" He was hoping Naruto would tell him, so he could help. As much as he didn't want to lose him, he couldn't stand seeing Naruto in pain like this.

"I'm not ready yet. When the time is right, I will tell that person what it is they are meant to hear." Naruto gave Sasuke a sad smile.

This was the same smile that Naruto always seemed to give before he vanished. "Wait, before you go.. a-am I going to see you again?"

Ocean blue eyes met dark almost black ones. There was a moment of silence as Naruto never broke eye contact. Sasuke could feel a slight blush on his face, as he was still mesmerized by that beautiful blue color, and also because he realized how desperate he sounded.

"That depends on you, Teme" he smiled, but this one wasn't as sad. It had a more loving nature to it.

With that Naruto disappeared. Sasuke wanted to desperately call out to him. To ask him what he meant, but he didn't. He sat on the roof for another while and tried to soak in everything.

He had so many questions that he didn't seem to have answers to. It felt like when he asked, he was led in circles by a counter question or avoidance.

Letting out a sigh and rubbing the back of his neck, the raven decided it was best to sleep on it and hope he would see Naruto tomorrow. Before he climbed back down to his bedroom, he looked over to the empty place next to him.

"I miss you already, dobe."