Chapter 12 - Picking Marshalls

"Cakes and Kettledrums," said Trumpkin, "That's your next big plan? Sending a little girl into the darkest parts of the forest alone?"
"It's our only chance," said Peter.
"And she won't be alone," said Susan.
"Haven't enough of us died already?" said Trumpkin to Lucy, with pleading eyes.
"Nikabrik was my friend too," said Trufflehunter, "But he lost hope. Queen Lucy hasn't. And neither have I."
"For Aslan," said Reepicheep, holding his rapier over his heart.
"For Aslan," said a bear in a gruff voice.
"Then I'm going with you," said Trumpkin.
"No, we need you here," said Lucy, trying to hide how touched she was.
"We have to hold them off until Lucy and Susan get back," said Peter.

"If I may," said Caspian, "Miraz may be a tyrant and a murderer. But, as king, he is subject to the traditions and expectations of his people. There is one in particular that may buy us some time."

**********

"This is not what I meant," said Caspian, "This is my fight."
"I think we've already tried that," said Peter, "Look, if there's ever going to be peace with the Telmarines, you have to be the one who brings it."
"How can I, if you won't let me?" said Caspian.
"How about this: If I don't make it, Narnia's future's in your hands." said Peter.
The sick turn of conversation made Y/N's stomach do a somersault.
"And what about your own future?" said Caspian.
"I was thinking about a career in medicine," said Peter, before turning around and taking the helmet Trumpkin held out for him.

"Your Highness?" said a tall bear.
"Yes?" replied Peter.
"I'm a bear, I am," said the bear.
"And a fine one, I'm sure," said Peter.
"B-B-Begging your pardon, but tradition holds that you pick your Marshalls of the Lists," stuttered the bear.
"He's right," said Caspian, "You need to choose your seconds."

"Don't let him," said Trumpkin, "He'll just fall asleep and suck his paws."
"Sire, my life is forever at your command," said Reepicheep, "but I had thought perhaps I might be sent for this challenge."
Trumpkin laughed, and was surprised to find himself the only one doing so.
"As you know, my good Reepicheep," said Y/N, walking up next to Peter, "many humans are afraid of mice. And it really wouldn't be fair for Miraz to have anything in sight that could further dilute his courage."
"Of course," said Reepicheep, "Your Majesty is the mirror of honour. That is exactly what I was thinking."

"Caspian," said Peter, "Tell Glenstorm I want him, Ed and-"
"Please, Your Majesty," said the bear.
"It is your right," said Peter, "And my honour. But you must remember not to suck your paws."
"Oh!" groaned Trumpkin, "He's doing it right now!"
"Are you sure you're ready for this?" said Peter.
"Are you sure that you are?" Caspian asked.

**********

"What's wrong?" asked Susan, walking up to Y/N, who was sitting against the Stone Table.
"Multiple things," mumbled Y/N.
Susan gently sat down next to her, put an arm over her shoulder and said, "Tell me."
This had happened many times before. Whenever Y/N was upset, Susan would be there to comfort her - she was always a bigger sister to Y/N, no doubt.
"Well, for starters," said Y/N, "Peter keeps mentioning death ever so coolly, and it's bothering me."
"That's how war is, Y/N," said Susan, frowning, "That's how war always was. I suppose it's been a while, hasn't it?"
Y/N nodded and continued, "It's just that I spent the whole past year crying over what happened and trying to figure out ways to get back to Narnia. But now everything's different and I miss the way Narnia used to be. And even though the four of you are with me, I still miss you, because everything has changed. I just want the Golden Age back."

Susan smiled sadly.
"Well, nothing is ever going to be the same again, Y/N," she admitted, "But we can make the most of what we have right now. Maybe tomorrow Narnia will be in an even worse condition, but we can make the most of what we have today."
Y/N smiled at Susan as she realised something. She was so caught up about how she hadn't cherished her time earlier, that she had forgotten to cherish the present. Things could always be worse. But they had each other, and they had a kingdom to fight for - a kingdom to win back.

"What else?" asked Susan, snapping Y/N out of her thoughts.
"I'm sorry?" said Y/N.
"Well, you said that multiple things are bothering you," said Susan, "What else is wrong?"
"Well, I'm not quite sure. I just feel like something is going to happen when this duel is over."
Edmund was currently presenting Peter's proposal to Miraz at the Telmarine camp. Y/N had no doubt that Miraz was going to agree, especially if Edmund was submitting the idea - with his wit and charm, there was no way Miraz would refuse.
"What do you mean?" said Susan, sitting up straight.
Y/N only had feelings like these very rarely, but whenever she did, they were always correct.
"I don't know, but it certainly isn't anything good."