Chapter 13 - The Duel

The three of them walked out of the How, all armed up - Peter, with Edmund at his right and Y/N at his left. They put on solemn faces, as the Narnians cheered them on. Edmund held Peter's sword and Y/N held his shield. As they walked closer to the platform in the centre of the field - which is where the duel would be taking place - the Narnian cheers grew softer and the Telmarine ones grew louder. Glenstorm nodded at Peter when they reached. Miraz stood up - he was only about a metre away from them now, and although Peter, Edmund and Y/N all wore brave faces, they were very tense on the inside.

Edmund held out Peter's sword, and Peter unsheathed it, to which the Narnian cheers grew louder. Miraz also unsheathed his sword, before stepping forward. Peter also walked forward, his confidence growing stronger by the second. He and Miraz looked straight at each other for a good minute - Y/N kept fidgeting with her hands uncomfortably.
"There is still time to surrender," said Miraz.
"Well, feel free," quipped Peter.
"How many more must die for the throne?" 
"Just one," said Peter, pulling down the flap of his helmet to cover his face, before launching out of his stance onto some broken pillars and coming down with his sword hard on Miraz's shield.

They clashed swords and shoved each other with their shields for the next few minutes - although Y/N was extremely concerned for Peter, she longed for the fight to get a little more interesting. But duels always started out like this - almost as if the soldiers were holding back their actual capability. Peter and Miraz were starting to get more engrossed in the fight. Their groans and cries filled the air, and would have been alone, were it not for the undeniable, unsettling tension.

Peter seemed slightly ahead of Miraz, which put a smile - if even a little one - on Y/N's face. But not for long, as Miraz knocked Peter's helmet off his head, leaving a big, purple bruise on his cheek. Peter slashed him in the knee, and Miraz groaned in pain, clutching his leg. They were a few feet apart, before pouncing again. Peter leaped into the air, but then tumbled onto the floor, as he and Miraz missed each other by mere inches.

They took their stances again, before getting back into the duel. Miraz kicked Peter to the ground, before stepping on the shield that was firm in Peter's grasp, twisting his arm backwards. Peter cried out, and Y/N tore her eyes away from the scene. She was no stranger to violence - in fact, she didn't mind it at all - but something about this duel was unbearable to watch, and Edmund seemed to think so too. Peter was alone - there was nothing they could do to help him.

She could hear the moans and wails, and as tempting as it was to see what was happening, she resisted. After a few moments, she noticed the Narnians cheering again, so she turned back around. Peter was standing, with Miraz on the ground next to him. But Peter was not focused on Miraz. He was more interested in Susan and Caspian, who were riding towards them.

"Does His Highness need a respite?" asked Miraz, who was now standing up.
"Five minutes?" Peter shuddered weakly.
"Three!" said Miraz gruffly, before turning around and limping back.
Peter was no better, barely moving the top portion of his body. Y/N and Edmund rushed to help him. Susan and Caspian reached just in time.
"Lucy," said Peter worriedly.

"She got through with a little help," said Susan, looking at Caspian.
"Thanks," said Peter genuinely.
"Well, you were busy," replied Caspian.
"You'd better get up there," said Peter to Susan, "Just in case. I don't expect the Telmarines will keep their word."
Susan went to hug Peter, but he let out a pained breath.
"Sorry," she said, pulling back quickly.
"It's okay," said Peter.
"Be careful," said Susan.
"Keep smiling," said Edmund suddenly, looking towards the Narnians, who were now wearing discouraged faces.
But Peter gave a wide grin and held up his sword, leading them to cheer once more.

Peter whimpered when Caspian gently took away his shield. He held his shoulder and sucked in a breath.
"I think it's dislocated," said Peter.
Edmund went to tend to it, as Peter continued to speak, "What do you think happens back home if you die here?"
Edmund's face wore horror at just the thought, but Peter still spoke, "You know, you've always been there, and I never really-"
Edmund didn't let Peter finished, twisting his shoulder back into position, "Save it for later."

Peter got back up, and Y/N put an arm around him - she didn't hug him, for the fear that she might hurt him. After giving him his sword, Edmund offered Peter his helmet, but Peter simply shook his head. He walked forward again, as Miraz refused to wear his own helmet. Soon, they were at it again. But Miraz was more vigorous than ever, whacking Peter with his shield mercilessly. After a few blows, he knocked Peter down. As Miraz advanced on him, Peter used his legs skillfully to roll around and kick Miraz to the ground.

They both stood up again, and continued swinging their swords and each other. Suddenly, Peter had somehow collected both his and Miraz's swords, but the latter was soon knocked out of his hand. He banged his sword against Miraz's shield a few times, before he lost hold of it too. Miraz pushed his backwards, using his shield - another tool Peter no longer had in his grasp. After a lot of struggle, Peter managed to punch Miraz in the knee - the same one that was earlier injured - making him instantly weaker.

"Respite," begged Miraz, falling on his knees.
"Now's not the time for chivalry, Peter," yelled Edmund.
Peter released his fist, refraining from going any further. He walked towards Edmund, Y/N and Caspian. But while his back was turned, Miraz lifted his sword.
"Look out!" cried Y/N, before Miraz swung his sword at Peter's head.
But Peter dodged and stole the sword from Miraz, piercing through his chest. He pulled it out, letting Miraz slide to the floor once more.

There was a moment of silence, before Miraz said, "What's the matter, boy? Too cowardly to take a life?"
Peter glared at him and responded, "It's not mine to take."
He turned around and held the sword out to Caspian, who slowly walked forward and took it. Caspian lifted up the sword and looked straight at Miraz, showing no sign of hesitancy. Miraz said something loud enough for only Caspian to hear and Caspian yelled before bringing down the sword. But it was planted - not through Miraz - but in a patch of grass. Miraz seemed the most confused out of everyone.
"Keep your life," said Caspian, "but I am giving the Narnians back their kingdom."

The Narnians applauded and cheered as Caspian walked back towards them. Y/N patted him on the back, as he passed her. It was a victory of victories. But not for long. Peter, Edmund, Y/N and Caspian had started walking back to the How, but turned around when they heard a loud grunt of pain. It was Miraz - and he had an arrow fixed into his back. Everybody watched as he slowly fell to the ground.

"Treachery!" yelled one of the Telmarine Lords, "They shot him! They murdered our king!"