Chapter 15 - Goodbye Again

The Telmarines cheered and waved flags, as the kings and queens of Narnia rode down the street to the Telmarine castle. Children ran in front of them, throwing flowers and dancing around. Aslan led the royal party, Peter and Caspian behind him. Susan and Lucy followed, and then Edmund and Y/N. The rest of the Narnians walked behind them. Edmund turned around to look at Y/N. And when he did, he saw a smile that hadn't graced her face in a long time. He longed for that smile to stay. Little did he know that it would shatter the next day.

**********

"Narnia belongs to the Narnians, just as it does to man," spoke Caspian, "Any Telmarines who want to stay and live in peace are welcome to. But for any of you who wish, Aslan will return you to the home of our forefathers."
The Telmarines and the Narnians had gathered together for an important announcement.
"It's been generations since we left Telmar," said a man.
"We're not referring to Telmar," said Aslan, "Your ancestors were seafaring brigands. Pirates run aground on an island. There they found a cave, a rare chasm that brought them here from their world. The same world as our kings and queens."

From the looks on their faces, it was clear that this was a surprise to the Pevensies and Y/N as well.
"It is to that island I can return you. It is a good place for any who wish to make a good start."
"I will go," said General Glozelle, from the back of the crowd, "I will accept the offer."
He walked to the front, where Aslan, the Pevensies, Y/N and Caspian were standing.
"So will we," said Lady Prunaprismia.
She walked to the front with her father, Lord Scythley, holding her infant in her arms.
"Because you have spoken first, your future in that world will be good," said Aslan, and he blew on them.

Aslan then turned to a tree and its trunk parted into two, forming a sort of doorway. General Glozelle, Lady Prunaprismia and Lord Scythley walked forward and through this doorway, disappearing instantly. The crowd burst into chatter.
"How do we know He is not leading us to our death?" a man shouted.
"Sire," said Reepicheep, "If my example can be of any service, I will take eleven mice through with no delay."
Aslan stayed silent, turning from Reepicheep to Peter and Susan.

"We'll go," said Peter, stepping forward.
Y/N and Edmund looked at each other, before Edmund said, "Uh, we will?" 
"Come on. Our time's up," said Peter, before turning to Caspian, "After all, we're not really needed here anymore."
Peter handed his sword to Caspian, who said, "I will look after it until you return."
"I'm afraid that's just it," said Susan sadly, "We're not coming back."

Y/N's heart dropped. Perhaps she didn't hear Susan clearly. We're not coming back. Y/N replayed those four words in her mind again and again. Her breath wavered and tears brimmed her eyes until she couldn't see - she had to blink to let them fall.

"W-We're not?" she asked, her voice shaky.
"You three are," said Peter, "At least, I think He means you three."
"But why?" asked Lucy, "Did they do something wrong?"
"Quite the opposite, dear one," replied Aslan, "But all things have their time. Your brother and sister have learned what they can from this world. Now it's time for them to live in their own."
"It's alright, Lu," said Peter, "It's not how I thought it would be, but it's alright. One day you'll see too."

Then, Peter turned to Y/N, his smile fading. Y/N tackled him in a hug, her emotions getting the better of her. Peter and Susan were like siblings to her. She was losing her siblings forever. By now, Peter was also in tears.
Still, he said, "Don't cry, Y/N. It's alright."
Y/N didn't agree with him. It wasn't alright. It wasn't ever going to be alright. But she didn't want to get into something now.
"I wish you the best in life, Y/N/N," said Peter, once they pulled away.
"You too, Pete," said Y/N, "Listen to Lucy."
Peter chuckled.

Y/N's gaze then moved to Susan, before wrapping her in a hug too. Susan's emotions let loose too. They didn't care that they were queens and had to keep up appearances.
When they pulled away, Susan looked at Y/N and said, "Don't think about it too much. Live your life. We'll be together forever. In here."
Susan pointed at her heart, and Y/N giggled at how cheesy the line was.
"I know you'll do amazing things," continued Susan, "I've always known that."
Y/N nodded and sniffled, "I'm going to miss you so much."
"Me too," said Susan, stroking Y/N's hair.

"Come on," said Peter to Edmund, Y/N and Lucy.
They bowed and shook hands with their friends - Glenstorm, Professor Cornelius, Trumpkin, Trufflehunter and Reepicheep. Lucy couldn't help but hug Trumpkin.
Meanwhile, Susan walked up to Caspian and said, "I'm glad I came back."
"I wish we had more time together," said Caspian.
"It would never have worked, anyway," said Susan.
"Why not?" asked Caspian
"I am thirteen hundred years older than you," Susan replied, chuckling.
Caspian laughed softly. Susan was about to walk away, but then turned back to Caspian and kissed him. Peter smiled at the scene.

"I'm sure when I'm older I'll understand," said Lucy.
"I'm older and I don't think I want to understand," said Edmund.
"Oh, shut up," laughed Y/N, gripping him by the shirt and pulling him in for a sweet kiss.
Y/N then went to Lucy and hugged her. Lucy's arms wrapped arround the older girls waist for a few seconds, before pulling apart. Lucy and Edmund also had tears in their eyes, but they knew that this goodbye wasn't permanent for them. Then, the five of them looked at Aslan, who nodded, which told them that it was time. The five of them held hands - Edmund, Y/N, Lucy, Peter and Susan - and walked towards the tree.

Y/N closed her eyes as she walked through the tree trunk. Soon, Edmund and Lucy's hands had faded from her own and she opened her eyes. She was back at her bus stop - but her uniform wasn't torn and her nose wasn't bleeding. She looked up to see that her bus was just arriving. Rubbing her eyes quickly, she took a last sniffle and put on her backpack. The bus came to a stop and she made sure to board it first - she didn't want anyone to see her crying. She took the seat right at the back and immediately opened out her rough notebook.

As her tears dripped onto the page, she began to write the words that came to her head:
"It started out as a feeling, which then grew into a hope..."