ACCEPTANCE

"UA? THAT'S NOT A BAD IDEA BUT WHY SO SUDDENLY?" (Y/N)'s mother asks, a bit surprised by her daughter's choice

She doesn't know why she wants to suddenly apply to UA, or why she tells her parents about it, but that decision just feels right.

"Being a hero is very taxing. Are you sure you can do it?" Her father asks, looking up from his phone. "Plus you know how dangerous that is."

"I do," (Y/N) replies. "I just realized that this is what I wanted to do for a while now. I just never spoke about it until now."

It's a lie and she knows it. The thought of being a hero has only crossed her mind briefly; it's not something she would have devoted her life to. But something about the fight with Matsumoto and Akimiya made her want to rethink her life.

She didn't really care about being a hero. The prestige of UA was what drew her in and if she could prove to herself that she can in fact get in, then that is one thing she has done right in her life.

"That's good," her mother replies with a smile. "I'm glad you're doing it for a purpose. Some people just jump in without knowing anything and all they like is the title or the feeling it brings them. The fact that you've thought of this for a while now means that you're automatically better."

Her smile is warm and her words are supposed to be comforting, but all (Y/N) can focus on is the sharp pain in her heart. I'm exactly like those people.

She offers a tight-lipped smile and goes up to her room while her father gets up to prepare dinner.

Her bag is thrown on the floor of her room carelessly and she opens up her laptop, typing the words 'UA Academy' into Google. It's what she expects, a collection of images that portray a grand building that seems to shine with the promise of a great future. The first site is the school website and when she clicks on it, she is taken to a neatly organized page with faces of various pro heroes displayed on it. All Might. Endeavor. Midnight. Best Jeanist. Present Mic. All of their smiling faces hypnotize her, drawing her in, telling her that she could be part of their world. She scrolls a little lower using her arrow keys and the next layer shows the building from the outside, the cafeteria, a classroom, and the gigantic training grounds. It's a world of its own, and the more she looks at it, the more she wants to be a part of it.

I can be a student here, she thinks, gazing into All Might's smiling face. I can become someone like him. She doesn't know if it's actually her heart talking or if she just wants to justify herself, but she knows that if she says it enough, she can convince herself it's what she wants.

She tests out her quirk, blowing wind towards her desk and lifting up one of the papers. She has mastered the art of moving things with her breath alone already so it's a piece of cake. She keeps the paper suspended midair for a few more minutes, testing out her endurance.