Chapter 1: Experiment gone wrong

(The Owl House is ready!)

I take a deep breath into my nose, trying to calm my fast-beating heart as I stand before the tall building that I'm too familiar with. the crowd of people around me certainly doesn't help, either.

This building is home to many inventions made by the best scientists in the world. Many of the people that have worked here are my parents. Unfortunately, I am not here to meet them or to have a chat with them.

Most people would question why some 19-year-old would ever volunteer to subject themselves to such a dangerous experiment. The answer is quite simple: I'm mad at life.

My partner of two years broke up with me and started dating that one person that likes to ruin my life, and I'm pretty sure they were seeing each other while we were dating. My friends confessed that they were after my money and dropped me when they realized they weren't getting a cent from me. My favorite show got canceled.

And all of this has happened just last week. 

I perk up as the doors to the building open up and the crowd goes quiet. Our eyes focus on the man with a lab coat stepping out. His arms were behind his back and his face was with a smile. 

"Welcome, everyone, to H.H.F.F. The helping humans for the future. I would like to first off personally thank everyone here for signing up for our latest project. Follow me." The man motions to the door. Everyone piles in with me going last. The doctor's eyes land on me and his eyes go wide. He must recognize me from my parents, not many people do.

I send a warning glare to the man, and he closes his mouth. Once I step through the door, the man rushes to the front of the awaiting group. A smile returns to his lips, and he holds his hands out to both sides. 

"Welcome to where the science happens. I'm Professor Madax Here we have invented many things that people use as everyday options. Not only are the very creations a matter of pride here, but we use our funding to help our future fellow scientists get the education and opportunities to help them get a ride up to here and join us in our work."

I roll my eyes and shove my hands into the pocket of my hoodie, playing with my fidget cube, the silent clicks ringing in my ears, filling my head, distracting me from the lecture I've heard many times already We soon reach another set of doors, but this one is heavily guarded. The man takes a card from his chest pocket and swipes it into the card reader. The door slides open and reveals a room of glowing cylinder chambers all lined up in the room. Many people are either messing with a cylinder or taking notes. We all look around the room as we continue our way in.

"Here, we are doing a test drive in putting people into Cyro sleep." The scientist starts, motioning around the room. "With many bacteria being discovered and many deaths, we hope to be able to study them in a frozen state and keep some alive where in the future, they could be answered for many problems. Now, what you guys are here for is to test the Cyro chambers. We need to determine if larger organisms will be able to freeze all cells and cause no change from the beginning to the end. We already tried smaller organisms, and we are proud our tests came positive."

He then points to what seems to be locker rooms. "Now, in there, we have not only lockers for your personal belongings but jumpsuits that have been tailored to fitting by the measurements you have given us."

With a nod and a hum of approval, we all make our way to the lockers.

As I pull on the sleeve of my suit on, I overhear people murmuring to each other about how exciting this is. Annoyance over them talking about what they're going to do with the volunteer money fills me and I finish changing and storm out of the room. My eyes land on the awaiting group leader, and I approach him.