LXXXIX. Countless Steps Down and One Step Up

Regulus didn't even bother going back to the dorm room until after breakfast.

He did receive quite a few stares from people as he entered the Great Hall and made his way towards the Slytherin table, but he paid them absolutely no mind. As far as he was concerned, no one else's opinion about him mattered in the present moment. He was just focused on getting some food into his system. Oddly enough, crying until you absolutely could no cry anymore made one quite hungry.

He knew that he probably looked like an absolute mess. Bloodshot eyes with tired bags beneath them, rumpled pyjamas, messy hair, and his cheeks were probably still very red. But, perhaps he would just look tired - that's what he was hoping for, anyways. He did not want anyone to know that he had been crying.

Deacon Ackland and Sirius Black knew.

Sirius knew, however, for completely different reasons than Deacon. Deacon knew because he had looked like that before. The tired and bloodshot eyes, the heavy and drooping eyelids, the messy hair, the red cheeks and nose - Deacon had looked like that more times than he had cared to admit. And he felt absolutely awful for Regulus. What had happened to make him cry so much that the aftereffects were still being felt and visualized the following day? Was he alright? Should Deacon ask him, or should he just leave it be?

He did not want to just leave it be. So, he promised himself that he would get Regulus alone at some point and ask him - that he would ask Regulus and be sure that he was ok. Though, he had to be sure to do it at a time when Francesco and Benji wouldn't be around. Sure, they were being friendly with Regulus now. However, Deacon had a sneaking suspicion that Regulus would not express his emotions if they were around.

Regulus took a bite of his eggs, glancing up and down the breakfast table through tired eyes. It was a miracle that he had woken up before noon - a miracle that he wished had not happened.

He debated just going back to the dorm and skipping out on classes. However, it was their first day of term. And besides, he did not yet know which classes he would be missing.

As if on cue, Professor Johnston started down the table, handing class schedules for third years and beyond to their respective owners. Barty was not yet in the Great Hall, and Regulus wondered briefly if he should accept the schedule for him to hand to him when he got inside. Though, before he could come to a formal decision, Professor Johnston was standing at his side.

"Regulus Black?" He asked, his voice a nasally Welsh drawl.

Regulus nodded his head. "That's me," he muttered.

Professor Johnston looked Regulus over, and he wrinkled his nose in distaste. "What brought you to show up to breakfast in such a horrendous state?" He demanded.

Regulus furrowed his brow, and he gave Professor Johnston a confused look. "It's breakfast," he said.

Professor Johnston shook his head and clucked his tongue. "Five points from Slytherin for not being properly dressed, five point for not having your school things, and ten points for the attitude." He put Regulus's course schedule down on the table in front of Regulus. "Go make yourself presentable, boy." And he stalked off down the table.

Regulus gaped after the man - that was completely unfair! And, when looking at his course schedule, his day was not made any better.

It was a Tuesday, so at least he didn't have Defense Against the Dark Arts with Professor Johnston - he couldn't take more points if he didn't have a class with Regulus, could he?

Regulus finished his breakfast, ignored the concerned and curious glances of several as he passed them, and he went to the Slytherin common room. As quickly as he could, Regulus changed into his school uniform, packed his book bag for the day, and he took off to his first day of classes.