.7

Winnie's POV

"Morning," I say into Embry's van before getting in, and I'm immediately meet with the smell of the woods.

"Good morning," He greets softly with his eyes shut. Exhausted as always, Embry is slumped in the driver's side with his head resting against the window. Half dressed and barefoot, he's completely smeared in dirt. There's blades of grass and twigs stuck in his hair, with an undeniable heavy musk of wet dirt and pine that rivals an air freshener.

"Sam Uley had you work late again?" I ask, answered by a tired groan.

"Covering a shift for a friend." He yawns.

"Graveyard shift?"

"Overnight, the usual." He yawns again, his head lolling forward as if he can't keep it up. Feeling bad, I let him rest his eyes for ten minutes, sitting quietly besides him listening to him breathe evenly, while softly playing with the radio channels. After two minutes, he's snoring, dead asleep.

He's gonna get such a bad neck cramp from that position. The kind that doesn't let you look over your shoulder without the motion feeling like a punch. There is an urge to pull him down across the seat, where his head will end up right in my lap. I try to keep my hands to myself, telling myself to ignore whatever pull is nudging against my arms and hands to reach out and hold him.

"Embry," After a bit I have to wake him up before I take hold of him. He's hard to wake up, deep asleep within minutes. I shake him a bit, calling his name till his eyes open.

"I think I should drive you home." I suggest, hearing the amount of concern in my voice and cringing at how much of a mom I must sound like.

"No, I'm taking you to work." He mumbles, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.

"You shouldn't be behind the wheel when you're this tired. You're gonna fall asleep behind the wheel. You could crash into someone or drive off of the road, and put yourself the hospital."

"You're worried about me." Through sleep lidded eyes, Embry softly grins at me. It's such a tender expression it makes my breath catch in my throat. Noticing I'm right by his hip and the gearshift, I don't know when I inched so close to him.

"A cop might be worried too." I try to put some distance between us, retreating back to my side of the van. "How about you let me drive till the lodge? Just enough time for you to wake up a bit, hmm?"

"So responsible." He yawns again. "No, don't worry. I've driven half asleep more times than awake. I'll get you there."

I am worried.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"See? You had nothing to worry about. We got here in one piece." Embry isn't the gloating type, but this was as close as he gets to.

"Why don't you come in for a cup of coffee?" I offer—no, plead. I'll make it extra strong, dump in the entire can if I have to.

"Er, I don't know. I'm pretty tired." Embry mutters, struggling to keep his head up. "But I'll be back to pick you up later this afternoon."

"I don't know Embry—"

"I'll be fine." Embry assures, reaching out from his window. His huge hand engulfs the top of my head, giving me an assuring pat. The way his hand tangles into the locks of my hair feels good, and warm. How much I like it gives me cause to reel back, making that excited flip my stomach to tighten up in a bundle of nerves.