.27

Embry's POV

Jacob drove me home and I didn't get out. When he asked if I wanted to go Sam's and Emily's, I just give a silent shake of the head, because Sam's lecture was the last thing that would have made me feel better.

So Jacob drove me to his house. Where his dad Billy already had one of his daughter's old room ready with fresh sheets and some of Jacob's clothes to borrow folded neatly waiting for me. They let me hole up in their bathroom to wash the woods off me, then had Chinese take out waiting for me by the time I came back. The two were even nicer the next day when I was only slightly more talkative.

"Heading out?" Billy wheels into the doorway, watching me fold up all the borrowed pairs of Jacob's clothes I was lended.

"Yeah, I have to go back. Been worried about leaving my mom alone." That was a halfway truth. Yes, I've been worried about whether or not she's been eating or remembering to lock the door when she comes home late from work. But I've been worrying about lots of things.

"You're always welcome to stay longer. As long as you want." Billy adds.

"Thank you for everything," I mean it. "I always like coming over." Billy gives a sober nod in a silent 'you're welcome' before folding his hands in his lap then going serious.

"Embry, let me ask you a question if you're up to it." I can tell that Billy was never the parent who yelled or even raised his voice. He was undoubtedly the parent who you never wanted to disappoint because letting him down would be worse and last longer than any consequences.

"Of course you can." I mutter.

"It's a loaded one, son. So I'll only ask if you feel up to answering it." Billy asks again.

"You can ask whatever you want, Billy." I make room for him to enter the room, lowering down on the corner of the bed so we'll be eye level.

"What exactly do you get out of not telling Winnie the truth?"

"If I tell her, she'll never want to see me again. She'll think I'm lunatic or on drugs—or both." Billy nods along as he listens to my answer, thinking over each and every word as I explain. Just when I think he sees the reason in my words, he shakes his head.

"Now son, I didn't ask why you won't tell her. I asked what do you get out of not telling her the truth. I know it mustn't be easy keeping this from her, having to hide who you are from her. She's your imprint. Isn't this killing you?"

Billy wasn't nice to warn me, he was right to. The way it feels like the entire room losses oxygen nearly makes me get to my feet and run out the door just to catch my breath again. I would feel disorientated but Billy's serious gaze levels me. He patiently waits for my answer, giving me all the time I need to sort out my words.

"What I get out of not telling Winnie she's my imprint..." I repeat, running my hand over my face. Not sure of the answer myself, I look towards Billy as if he has the answer. "I keep telling myself that I'm going to tell her soon—eventually. When the timing is right or when our relationship is stronger. I keep putting it off because I'm scared I'll lose her. So... I guess I'm saying that I get to keep Winnie in my life the longer I don't tell her."

"Now, that's an answer." Bill gives me something of an understanding look.

"That hurt saying it out loud." I admit, feeling like one of the guys just punched me in the gut. Billy lets out a dry chuckle, his low rumble comforting.

"I'd say it hurts less and less, but that would be a lie." Billy grins before going serious again. "I actually went to talk to Winnie yesterday." I do a double take at him, rising up to my feet before lowering back down when I realize she might be pissed at me.