DUTY BEFORE LOVE

Entwining their fingers, Manik took her out of the house. She looked back at the house where she had been living since her childhood. Her eyes turned teary, but lips turned up with the new warm feeling of going out.
Abhi followed behind and smirked looking at Manik who was moving her towards his car. Manik Malhotra, who has never allowed anyone to sit in his personal car, never hired the driver, is taking her to his car.

“Manik! I came in the police jeep! Let’s take her in that! Anyway, you won’t allow anyone in your car!”, Abhi mocked hiding his smile and continued to Nandini, “Baby. Prince. Car!”

He took her other hand, but before they could take another step Manik grips his wrist and said removing his hold on her softly, “She’s not anyone, Abhi!”

Abhi made an ‘Oh-is-it?’ face and asked, “Then who is she?”

Giving a tight smile, Manik replied, “Iskey liye wapas aaya hun toh koi toh hogi hi nahi!”

“Koi jaise? I mean you must have a definition of someone because you’re allowing her in your first love.”, Abhi asked further to tease him.

Manik smiled looking at her and said, “If that car is my love then she’s my life. In life, you can live without love but can never live without breathing, life.”

Abhi jumped in joy and exclaimed, “You accepted, bro! Finally! There’s someone who has passed through your walls!”

His excitement scared Nandini, and she ran behind Manik’s back. Both men laughed at her cuteness.

“You got your answer, right? Now we should move to face the hurdles!”, Manik said and picked scared Nandini in his arms as he took her to his car while Abhi towards his.

--
Looking out of the car window, Nandini was giggling looking at every little things. Manik’s heart was at peace. He wanted to take her to different places but before that he have to protect her.

They reached the police station and everyone saluted Manik. They were shocked as well, because a girl was holding SSP Manik Malhotra’s hand. She looked holding his hand tightly looking around. As they went inside, DIG who waiting for Manik stood and said, “Come Malhotra!”

Manik saluted with one hand standing properly as Nandini was not ready to leave him, “Jai Hind, sir!”
“Jai Hind!”, the DIG saluted back.

They settled down and Manik asked, “Sir! You’re here? Anything serious?”

“Of course, Malhotra! It’s damn serious! SSP Manik Malhotra who was supposed to dig those scammers out of their holes was himself hidden inside a hole! What I am supposed to do?”, DIG shouted while Manik looked down because he knew he was at fault.

“Sir! I--”, Manik started, but he was cut off and the DIG said, “May I know Mr. Malhotra why you’re here with a girl? This is a fucking police station, not a park where you can walk around holding hands!”

His shouts were giving a headache to Nandini, and she pushed the files on the table towards the DIG who was sitting on the other side of the table.

“What the fuck!”, he shouted and all three of them stood.

Nandini holds her head and cried tugging Manik’s shirt, “Da..dar..d”

The DIG was again going to shout when Manik cut him off, “Sir! Please! I’ll tell you everything! Please, don’t shout!”

Looking at him pleading, DIG said, “SSP Manik Malhotra is pleading! That’s interesting!”

He beckoned the lady constable towards Nandini, who came and tried to take her but Nandini didn’t leave Manik.

“Malhotra! If you want things in your favour, then I suggest you to send her away!”

Manik sighed and nodded as he knows one wrong step is going to change everything. He cupped her face and said, “Manik! Kuch. nahi.hoga! Jao! Kuch. time.bas!”

She nodded in no, but he kissed her forehead and took out a big chocolate from his pocket which he had brought earlier.
“Manik! Mery..liye!”

The lady constable pulled her only to receive a glare from Manik. He gritted his teeth and said, “One scratch and you’re gone!”

Nodding sacredly, she took Nandini with her, not before sharing a look with the DIG who signalled something.

Nandini kept looking at Manik who blinked his eyes in assurance and gave her a smile.

As she was out of the view, DIG asked, “Now, if you’re done with pda can we have some serious conversation!”

Manik sighed and told him everything.
“Sir! She’s alright! She just needs help and love! I’ll take her responsibility! Please!”

“Manik! This is not a game where you’ll take the girl! It’s not us who’ll decide everything! Let the court decide! And about if she needs help or treatment, that’ll be decided by the doctor! Till then, she’ll be behind the bars because we’re not sure if she’s involved or not!”, he stood leaving a sacred Manik.

“But sir!”, Manik cried in defeated voice.

“Duty before love, SSP Manik Malhotra!”, he reminds him(Manik) and moved out of the station after ordering others to lock Nandini.

________

Good things take time. Toh kripya intezaar kiya karey aap sab taki kachra update na mile. Jab tak main khud satisfied nhi hoti main update nhi dungi. Sabhi story par work kar rhi hu. Thodi lazy b hu thodi busy b hu par update jarur karungi. Aap sab chinta na karey!
Till then sukriya baney rhney k liye.
I have edited the designation of both Manik and his senior. I'm sorry for the mistake.😁