Chapter 28: The First Royals

I took in a sharp breath.

Lynn— Lin— Lindsey.

I kept staring at her.

My sister.

Lynn.

Their name sounded so similar.

The girl, Lynn, must have seen me staring at her— at her green eyes, so much like my sister— with an unfaltering gaze. She moved closer to Ryan, who, I noticed, was searching my eyes, my face to discern any reaction,  any response, anything; and I hoped he got plenty, since a hundred emotions were probably written all over my face and I did not even try to guard them.

For once, I let my face show what I felt. Let the golden streaks of memories I shared with my sister show on my face. Let my eyes convey what this cruel kingdom took away from me.

"Let's go," said a small wary voice.

I looked at the direction of the voice and blinked. The little merman whose voice I supposed it was, drifted away to Ryan's side across from Lynn. He probably deemed me to be crazy. In an attempt to recollect myself, I looked downwards, rested my palms flat over Kia's back and took a few deep breaths. I doubted it was effective for long term, but knew that the technique was sufficient for the time being. Best to deal with any sprout of old memories, any pang of sadness later, when I actually would have the strength to deal with them.

Ryan sighed loudly. My eyes snapped up to him. "Let me—" his voice cracked. He cleared his throat, then addressed the mer children in that smooth voice of his, "Let me make you another bubble."

The children forgot their sadness, each four of their faces lightening up with broad smiles. All of them went to hug Ryan— four pairs of small hands circling him around the waist. My eyes softened and my lips curved up in a faint smile.

I supposed that the kingdom was not that cruel after all. It had its own beauty, its own essence, entirely different from where I came; but that did not entitle me to call the kingdom cruel. Sure, some of the creatures were indeed malicious— like those faeries at The Obsidian, like Aeron— but some were kind and selfless, like Myra, some were loving and considerate, like Ryan, and some were carefree and innocent like those children. Even Kia was adorable. I caressed her fin and she whistled.

Hearing Kia whistle, the children swam to us in order to play with Kia. I glanced towards Ryan and saw him shaping a section of the infinite water around us into a circle. I knew it was taking him much longer to make the bubble than it actually would have if he had his powers.

A tug on the hem of my skirt pulled my attention away from Ryan. I noted the tiny, pale fingers clutching the material. "You were looking at me like you saw the big serpent," Lynn said.

"You reminded me of my sister."

Lynn contemplated my words. "Is she not with you?"

"No."

"Where is she?" Lynn asked in her small voice.

"I don't know." A lone tear rolled off my cheek and fell on the space between Lyn's knuckles. It instantly got mixed with the water around us.

Lynn looked at her knuckle, then looked up at me. "You must miss her."

I wrapped my arms around her and she hugged me with her little hands and her small, golden tail.

"Spark." Ryan stood across from me and a large bubble floated in front of him.

The mer children stopped playing with Kia and swam to Ryan, making a commotion over who would blow the bubble. Hearing her friends, Lynn broke free from me, did some kind of somersault in the water and went over to the other children to take part in their decision.