Chapter 7: Let's go to Zoology

The two men were sword-fighting, practicing war techniques. I had never seen such thing— so fine and graceful movement. Each and every blow was perfect. The younger, perhaps less experienced guy was no less than the older man. But who were they and what did it have to do with me? I was wondering this when the younger one turned his face.

It was Ryan— only less a teenage guy and more a warrior.

He was shirtless and his body was glistening with sweat making those hard-earned muscles in his lean body more refined. He looked different too, his features not quite like us humans, but the shadows covering them prevented me from fully observing his face, ears.

The Ryan in my dream was neither smiling nor had that smirk I hated so much. He was serious, every muscle in his face concentrating upon the movements of his opponent. His eyes were fixated on the older man— who somehow managed to look almost the same age as Ryan, though his worldly eyes gave away his experience in war and life; while Ryan's hands were in sync with each other defending every blow of that man while also attacking him.

I woke up, sweat forming over my temples. I was having the same dream every day for the past week— the two people talking about warfare— one a child and another one who was maybe his teacher. But that day, for the first time I saw something else than those black waters, though everything was still black and white.

I was right then. All those strange occurrences had something to do with Ryan. I wish I could talk to Ryan but the last time I saw him, it seemed as if he was disgusted by me and did not even want to talk to me. I would have to be at school in two hours for the Cambridge University tour. Maybe I would be able to see Ryan there. I got up and turned on the geezer.

While taking bath also I was thinking about Ryan and the dream and how to talk to him at Cambridge. It would have been romantic if it were not for the given circumstances. Maybe, the awkwardness was all in my head, given how much I liked to overthink. But those dreams and Ryan and everything else were messing up with my head and I wished for all of it to get over. Also, I had given my name for meeting with the Dean, which was making me extra stressed. Normally, I would have been more than prepared for such a thing, but that day, with such less hours of sleep and the thoughts of Ryan never leaving my mind, I felt like I was not prepared at all. I put on a navy-blue silk shirt and a semi-formal black leather skirt, packed the necessary items and got down for breakfast.

"Mushrooms. My fav breakfast." I said smiling.

"Yes. We all know how excited you are for that Department tour." Excited as well as scared.

"I guess I am. Thanks."

"All the best," dad said as I finished my breakfast.

"Kill it there!" Lindsey exclaimed.

"Thanks everyone. Bye," I said and got into the car.

On my way to school, I tried to focus on my interview with the Dean when my phone chimed. "Pick me up? Please?" Emma texted. Whenever she did that, it meant she was running really late.

"On my way." I texted back and told my driver to head to Emma's.

***

"What's this?"

"I am freaking out, Venus. I got up late, have nothing to wear and everything else is a mess," Emma said while drying her hair.

"Wear this dress and pair it up with that jacket," I said handing her an off-white dress and a denim jacket.

"You are a saviour. Seriously." That was funny since she was the one who wanted to be a fashion designer and had tons of designs of clothes in her art book, while I was the one who handed her the first thing I saw in bed.

"I know...," I smiled, "...but now hurry." We were going to be really late.

***

The University was beautiful. The buildings reflected old England vibe. And it was a place where I had always wanted to go. The very prospect of visiting Cambridge's departments made me excited and fidgety, and now that I was there, I tried to take in everything all at once. Emma even took a few pictures of us. We were allowed to visit any department.

"Let's go to zoology," I said to Emma.

"Why, you don't even like it."

"What if I said I want to be there to meet Ryan?" I said with a suggestive glance towards Emma.

"OMG!" Emma practically jumped and then grasped me by my hands.

"But he does not know I am coming."

"Even better. Let's go," she said checking out the campus map.

We had been wandering around the campus for thirty minutes yet could not find the zoology department. "Let's go buy something to eat and sit on the grass," I said to Emma. I had always wanted to go there and now that I actually had, I wanted to enjoy everything.

"Sounds amazing," Emma grinned, "So, tell me what happened?"

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I mean, Venus, you have been acting really weird for the past week. Is there anything you want to tell me? You know you can," she leaned back on the grass.

"There is no point telling. You will not believe me," I said sitting beside her.

"Are you and Ryan dating?"

"No, no," I wrinkled my nose at Emma. "But it does involve him," I explained to her the garden and the dreams I have been having.

"You should have told me earlier. That's why you blacked out that day," Emma noted.

"Yes."

"I also had my own suspicions, you know." When I raised my eyebrows, she added, "Why, you don't see a guy like that here. His physique and beauty are clearly unearthly." Her words made me laugh.

We sat on the grass for another few minutes and then asked a student where the zoology department was. "I don't even know if he will talk to me." I told Emma as we entered the department.

"Why will he not?" I ignored her question.

"Hey, do you know Ryan Waters?" I asked a guy at the entrance.

"The new guy?" he asked.

"Yeah."

"He's in marine biology section, in some hallway maybe."

"Okay thank—"The boy had gone before I could finish. "Clearly in a hurry." I joked.

__________________

Hope you liked CHAPTER 7 of "A World of Treason and Tides". Do vote and comment, if you did like it.😊

Why do you think Venus was having those dreams about Ryan?