Chapter 30: Witch?

He wanted to tell me something. What could that possibly be? Maybe why he went to the City. I was meaning to ask him that but was not getting the opportunity—if he himself wanted to tell me that, then that was exceptionally good. I leaned forward and listened eagerly to what he had to say.

“That day… at The Obsidian—I was about to return from there—when I heard the laughs from that tavern,” he started. My mouth opened slightly to ask something—why was he speaking about the tavern? But Ryan put his finger on my lip shutting me down.

“Listen to me,” he said. “In these couple of weeks, I have had the thought, more than once, to tell you everything that had happened at the tavern. You had asked me that day, why did not I hit the faeries. Your voice never left my mind—I kept thinking why had not I hit them, and in thinking so, I have lived that dreadful moment a thousand times; and every time I realized that I should have killed them. Because, what is a mere warning against the wills and whims of—” he shook his head and sighed.

Ryan took my palm again and brushed his thumb against its back. When he looked up, he grimaced, most probably after seeing the horrified look on my face. I was frozen, unable to move, unable to say anything. I just hoped he would stop. But he did not.

Ryan left my hand, mistaking my expression for something else. He continued, “When I saw you that way…surrounded by those filthy faeries,” Ryan’s voice grew cold and so low that if possible, it could freeze water back to ice. “I was scared seeing you there, Venus. You were valiant like usual but I was clueless, terrified —” he let out a humorless chuckle. “I assume I'm not that brave after all. No excuses are appropriate to justify why I didn't rip them apart.”

The pain in his voice as he said those words brought me out of my trance. “You are brave—” I started to say but he again shut me up.

“All these days I've been wanting to share my thoughts with you, apologize to you. But, knowing you didn't remember anything, I didn't deem it right. Now that you remember, I thought—”

“—You thought it'll be less painful to me now?” My voice was hoarse and barely more than a whisper. I probably sounded rude, but I was unable to endure the thoughts of that ghastly place anymore.

Ryan's brows creased. “No I didn't—what happened?”

I turned away. “Why would you tell me all that?” My voice rose from a whisper to yell.

Silence followed my accusation.

Then, Ryan held my chin and turned my face to him.

“Talk to me.”

“No.” I tried to turn away but he won’t let me.

“Venus,” Ryan persisted, “Why are you being so adamant? What are you so afraid of?”

Removing Ryan's hold from my chin, I stood up and walked towards the sea.

A hand gripped my wrist from behind, and I froze all over again, the images from The Obsidian—the hold of that fae on my wrist coming to my mind. I was turned around in one swift motion and found myself in front of Ryan. Slamming our joined hands on his chest, I yelled, “Leave my hand.”

Ryan left my hand and held me at the waist instead. “You're furious. Did I say something wrong?” he asked, his voice soft.

I looked Ryan in the eyes, my own eyes stinging and tears threatening to come out. “Everything,” I said.

As I saw Ryan's eyes widen, I rectified myself. “No, you said nothing wrong. Afraid—it seems to me that I am afraid of everything here. But mostly, I am afraid about the future.”