FOUR

4:❝ DOES ANYONE WANT TO GET OUT?❞read authors note at the end

read authors note at the end

1:03 AM HAD A DIFFERENT MEANING TO Meredith now as she stared at the lifeless Nick in front of her. She didn't know what to do. She felt like crashing down and crying, screaming, Nick was a father to her. Taking her in at such a young age she looked up to him as a father figure. Now he was gone and she didn't know what to do. She had lost people before but not as close as Nick. A few tears slipped from her eyes as she quickly swiped them away. Nick would be give her some big lecture right about now if he saw her crying. Agents can't show emotions and this and that. It's a load of bullshit anyway.

She felt a hand on her shoulder as she looked to her right to see Steve. "I know he meant a lot
to you." Meredith smiled softly as she looked back at Nick. "Yeah he would yell at me for his but he was really the only parental figure I had. I loved him." Meredith sighed softly as she patted Steve's hand. "I know you guys had your issues but I know you cared about him." Steve sucked in a breath. "Well it's definitely up for debate." Meredith chuckled softly as she just playfully rolled her eyes. She watched as Steve pulled out the flash drive as they went to go hide it in a vending machine.

When they cane back Natasha said they could go view his body. Steve and Meredith walked hand in hand as they went into a room. He was displayed on out and Meredith had never seen him so peaceful before. That's when Maria walked in. Meredith stepped away just in case if Maria wanted to see him too. "I need to take him." Steve walked up to Natasha as he said her name softly and put a hand on her shoulder. She put a hand on his head as she walked out. Meredith walked up to him and kissed his head as she whispered an I love you. She walked out and followed after Steve and Natasha. "Natasha!"

She stopped as she turned to look at the both of them. "Why was Fury in your apartment?" Oh god, the one thing Meredith was really bad at was lying. "I don't know." Great, now she knows were lying. That's when Rumlow showed up. Meredith rolled her eyes she could not catch a break from this freaking guy. "Cap, Agent Curry, they want the both of you back at S.H.I.E.L.D." Meredith nodded her head as she put her hair up this was going to be a long freaking day. She just wanted to grieve and be alone. "Yeah, give me a second."

"They want you guys now."

Meredith did a double take as she turned back to look at him. "Will you give us a god damn second?" He nodded his head and walked away as she turned back to Natasha. "You're a terrible liar." Meredith groaned he is and so is she. She walked away as Meredith and him exchanged a look and turned their heels towards Rumlow. "Let's go." Rumlow nodded his head as he walked behind the both of them. "S.T.R.I.K.E., move it out." The soldiers followed out behind them as Meredith sighed. This was going to be a REALLY long day.

• • •

As they made it back to S.H.I.E.L.D. they changed out of their regular clothes and into their suits. They were going to be questioned about Nick Fury. While on the way they ran into Agent 13 who was actually their neighbor. "Agent Curry. Captain Rogers." Meredith scoffed as Steve replied with, "Neighbor." Meredith chuckled under her breath as Agent 13 sighed. "Oh. Agent. Captain" Pierce, this man also rubbed Meredith the wrong way. "I'm Alexander Pierce." He stuck out his hand as Steve was the first one to take it. "Sir, it's an honor." Meredith went to shake his hand next. "Nice to meet you sir." He smiled, "The honor is mine, you two. My father served in the 101st. Come on in."