THREE

3:❝ DEATH ❞

  3:❝ DEATH

AS THEY PUSHED THROUGH THE DOORS at the VA, Meredith was excited to see Sam again. Though when she was looking ahead she saw the girl at the front desk. She was absolutely beautiful, beautiful long brown hair and the most amazing eyes. Meredith couldn't compare to her. When they stopped right in front of her, she looked up and had this signature smile.

"Hi, I'm Grace. How can I help you?" The way she spoke was so elegant and Meredith felt defeated. "Hi there, I'm looking for Sam Wilson." Grace's eyes widened at the shock of the fact that Captain America was looking for him. "Of course, just keep walking down the hall and it us the second door on your right." Meredith smiled, "Thank you Grace." They flashed her a smile and Steve and Meredith went straight and could hear the conversation going on.

Meredith saw Sam and her whole face lightened up but the conversation they were having set her face to a frown. "The thing is I think it's getting worse. A cop pulled me over last week. He thought I was drunk. I swerved to miss a plastic bag. I thought it was an IED." Meredith's heart began to hurt for the girl, she could never imagine what soldiers go through on a daily basis and she could never understand what the PTSD is like. Meredith turned to Sam and he flashed her a smile and she returned it back.

"Some stuff you leave there. Other stuff you bring back. It's our job to figure out how to carry it. Is it gonna be in a big suitcase, or in a little man-purse? It's up to you." Meredith was taken back by his words and wisdom. He was amazing and Meredith liked the person he was for these people, it was amazing. They finished up there meeting and Steve and Meredith let him say goodbye to everyone.

Meredith and Steve watched him say his final goodbye as he began to walk over tp them. "Look who it is, the running duo." The three of them shared a small laugh as they watched Sam pick up some stuff. "We caught the last few minutes. It's pretty intense." Meredith nodded, "That was pretty crazy."

"Yeah, we all got the same problems. Guilt, Regret." Meredith put her hand against her heart as he looked up to the both of them. "You lose someone?" Sam nodded, "My wingman, Riley. Flying a night mission. Standard PJ rescue op. Nothing we hadn't done 1,000 times before. Until an RPG knocked Riley's dumb ass out of the sky. Nothing I could do. It was like I was up there just to watch."

"I'm sorry," Meredith mumbled as she rubbed his back softly. "After that, I had a really hard time finding a reason for being over there, you know?" Meredith and Steve slightly nodded as she was trying her hardest to understand what that was like. "But you're happy now, back in the world?" Sam looked both ways with a smile on his face. "The number of people giving me orders is down to about zero. So hell yeah." Meredith smiled as she put her arm away. "Are you thinking about getting out?"