05

In fact, it was really easy to find Okkotsu Yuta. Plus, I didn't need to deliberately hide my scent.

I quietly approached the human region and asked a few guards while following the map to find the downtown area where hunters patrolled.

Humans seemed to be holding a fair to celebrate some holiday. The lively streets were brightly lit. Children laughed and chased each other. Various programs and shows vying for my attention. The beautiful shrine was wrapped in dazzling lights in all sorts of colors. Gorgeous.

Smells so good...

I licked my chapped lips as more and more people walked past me. But I had already vowed in my heart that I would never harm humans Yuta was protecting until I had expressed my feelings to him. Besides, I don't even have the ability to suck their blood.

Where is he?

I looked around everywhere in the sea of lights, but I still couldn't find the person that I had been thinking about day and night. I was distressed and bit anxious. I searched around confusedly, tiptoeing around the crowd, apologizing to the humans that I accidentally bump into.

Where is he?

"Miss, may I ask who you are looking for?"

My wrist was gently squeezed. A gentle and soft voice rang into my ears.

"Ah, I'm looking for a dark-haired..." I smiled and turned back.

...boy.

The dark-haired boy that I had been longing for was looking at me with slight concern.

"Excuse me, are you lost? Are you okay?"

He was actually even thinner than in the photo. Dark circles hung even more severely under those pretty eyes. I stood in his shadow. He looked at me with worry; in order for me to hear his voice more clearly, he bent down slightly as well. 

I wanted to ask him if he hadn't rested in a long time and if he was tired from being a Special Grade hunter.

But instead, I opened my mouth and said: "No...I just... couldn't find my way out."

In the eyes of the humans, he was a hero who protects their world. In his eyes, I was just an ordinary stranger like everyone else that needs his help.

His worries dissipated and he smiled tenderly.

"Great, seems like it's okay. Let me help you get out."

He gently held my wrist and guided me out of the crowd. I stared at his back intently as he walked in front. There was no fire in his eyes, only a pool of clear water.

I looked down at his hand that was holding my wrist. His hand was pale and slender. His veins were slightly evident under the pale skin; his arms slim yet felt strong.

I tried to study it all as if to imprint this in my mind to remember it for a lifetime.

"By the way, what's your name?"

To make sure that he will remember it, I answered him loudly, while grabbing his hand and writing out my name on his palm.

He turned around and met my eyes. My heart was beating so fast it was as if I had just run a marathon. For a moment, my mind forgot everything else. I just thought, even if I died at this moment, I have no regrets.

Although dazzling light hung above us, he seemed to be the only light that I could see. The world was as quiet as if only he and I were left.

I thought keenly, please please remember me.

When we got out of the busy street where most of the events were held, he patiently explained to me where each intersection was led to.

I combined my courage: "Excuse me, are you Okkotsu Yuta? 'Pure Love Legend'?"

At that, the boy seemed to smile in embarrassment. A little blush crawled up his pale neck, faintly wafting out the sweetest and most refreshing scent I had ever smelled. It was a delicacy so seductive that I began to understand why many upper-class vampires regularly sought out blood slaves.

"The compliment is a little too much, but I am indeed Okkotsu Yuta."

I swallowed my saliva, but I didn't at all want to bite him and hurt him. I just wanted to look at him from afar, loving him in a way more tender than I do to butterflies or flowers.

"Okkotsu-kun," before parting, I pointed to his low collar, "please protect yourself. That will make the vampires target you."

He was slightly surprised but nodded seriously.

"I will...I'll see you around then."

After watching him depart, I tilted my head upwards sadly. I couldn't help but fall into a depressed phase of lovesickness as I wondered when I would see him again.

Suddenly, my legs went weak and I blacked out.