7

"Please adopt me."

Both of them looked shocked. But the duchess hid her shock much better than her husband. Part of me was surprised that I actually caught the duke off guard. In my past life he was notoriously known for his lack of surprise.

"Why would you want us to do so?"

The question came from the duchess. I smiled and entwined my fingers with one another while my elbows were on the table. My head was supported by the hands.

"I am well aware that both of you know the situation within my so called family. If anything the situation is not quite in my favour."

"So you want to use us."

That came from the duke himself.

"I'm merely a child uncle and aunt. To do so would be getting to close to death. If anything I want a better life."

"A better life huh..."

"It's true and if that's not enough to convince you then I can at least help you and your family."

The duchess's eyes narrowed when I mentioned family. She was said to be protective of her children and I could see it. "What can you, an unsupported princess and neglected princess, do?" she asked.

Ouch. That stung. I dropped my happy demeanor and changed to a far more serious one. "Your family and you are going to be killed in the future."

I saw anger flare in the duchess's eyes while the duke remained silent. "How dare you--"

"How much do you trust those who work for you." I cut her off. The duchess was still angry so the duke replied. "Most of the servants are well trusted and have proven their loyalty." Loyalty? Did they use the illusion test on them.

"Well, I want to prove something to you. Keep an eye on the movements of the servants by the names Moraine and Jack and you'll see what I mean."

"If you're insinuating that there are spies within our residence then you are poorly mistaken." While I understand that these are the same servants that you hand picked and watched over, not all of them harbour loyalty towards you duchess.

"Fine. Duke Magnus, all I ask of you is to keep an eye on them. I am confident that they aren't who you think they are."

He contemplated my words before sighing. "Fine, I'll agree, and if you're wrong?" I smiled once more. "My fate is sealed if I fail Duke so in this case I have a lot more to lose than you."

Both of them remained silent then the Duke rung the bell on the table. He then took his wife's hand within his and they disappeared in a cloud of blue butterflies. It must be the duchess's powers.

I heard the creak of the door open and footsteps. As the footsteps grew closer I waited patiently. Soon enough a girl came from behind me and she looked excited.

I stood up. "Greetings to Lady Celia," I said as I smiled at her. "There is no need to greet, we're cousins after all," she said. I was shocked to say the least. Celia wasn't this friendly in the first life. Or maybe I merely made a bad impression on her.

"If that's the case then so be it." She sat down and I also did too. The silence between us was awkward until Celia broke it. "You're quite a pretty lady," she complimented. To which my face grew warm.

Compliments weren't something that I wasn't used to. After all, I did hear them a lot from nobles and officials trying to gain my favor when I was a crown princess. But they were fake. All synthesized to make me feel a false sense of security, yet Celia sounded genuine.