2

After dressing up, we walked outside. Rather than take the more open route and take the risk of my father's guards reporting to him, we took a more secretive one.

Once reaching the garden I sighed in happiness. How long had it been since I got to actually bathe in the sun. In my past life I was locked away for a year in the dark and damp underground cells.

Anne silently followed as I walked. I continued until we reached the place that I wanted to go to. My mother's garden. Anne paled when she realised where we were.

"My lady, you can't be here," she whispered in a harsh tone. The worry on her face painfully evident. "Why so?" I asked as I turned to her. My tone gave a warning.

"This is my birth mother's original garden and to be denied right to enter it is utter nonsense." Anne grabbed my arm. "I don't mean any disrespect my lady but if your father finds out th--" I cut her off.

"That man is not my father. He acknowledged that statement the day I came into the world." Those words made Anne freeze then let go of my hand. She'll know soon enough why I want to visit.

I quickly masked our presence since lots of guards had been secretly stationed around here by the emperor. Using my magic, we slipped through the shadows until we reached the very centre of the garden.

I wanted to smile at what was around me. Truly a beautiful place which represented what mother was like. Understandable why no one is permitted in here. Sadly something stopped me. Like a block in my heart.

Anne looked around in awe while muttering something along the lines of beautiful and amazing. Despite wanting to come here just to see a glimpse of something which was a part of my mother, that wasn't my full intention.

During my teenage years in my first life rumours circulated that part of the reason why the Emperor sealed off the garden was due to it also containing his Empress's magic.

Apparently the reason for the garden being as majestic as it still is was due to mother using her magic to make it this way. Of course upon hearing of said rumours, those who said anything to do with the garden would disappear. Definitely the works of my father.

I knew that what they said was true. Despite being a terrible father, he was a somewhat good Emperor (for the most part that is). He wasn't the type to react so rashly to mere rumours. Initially the source of the rumours would be removed and yet he went after anyone who uttered a word. That was enough confirmation.

'Mother if you can hear me then I want to say goodbye. I could try to reach you through any other way but I found this the most efficient way. I'm sure you know what I went through and you just surely know my reasons for leaving. If this second chance was thanks to you, I am forever grateful and won't waste this chance.

I want to live a new life. A life that would make me happy. Afterwards I found Anne and we disappeared into the shadows.

•••

"Miss, would you like to eat breakfast now?" asked Anne. "Yes. Please bring it in here." She nodded and left the room, leaving me to myself.

I'm genuinely curious as to whether or not father or brother realised that I wasn't there. I highly doubt that they would have noticed seeing as Penelope was already there.

I waited patiently until Anne returned with a food cart with breakfast. Just as I was about to eat I turned to her. "Tell me Anne, did you eat yet."

"Not yet Miss, I'll eat later." My eyes narrowed when she said that. I had only learned years later of Anne's mistreatment from Penelope.

The servants were against her for her support towards me rather than the apparent, much better princess, Penelope. Despite that she still remained faithful until the very end to me.

"Sit and eat with me," I said. She shook her head furiously. "It's okay Miss, as I said I'll eat later." I gave her a look. "That wasn't a statement Anne, it was an order."

She flinched slightly but complied. We are in silence and afterwards Anne left to do her duties, leaving me alone.

Now to think about my uncle. Firstly, establishing communication may be hard. From what I found out later, Penelope had access to all my letters from the beginning meaning that there were most likely spies and sending out birds was dangerous in the event they were intercepted.

I spent hours thinking until an idea came to me. Something I did before. Hidden messages. An old friend taught me how to send messages without worrying about the contents being discovered.

Secret ink. Of course my purchases and interactions were most likely closely monitored and I didn't want to use my powers too much so I'd rather take an easier route.

Lemons! A simple message in ink can be written and then on the blank parts whatever you want to really talk about can be written in lemon juice.

Once exposed to fire or a high heat the message would become visible. From my knowledge Penelope wasn't aware of such a method.

And so I wrote a letter to the Duke and Duchess, requesting to have a miniature tea party between the both of us while leaving a hint about the lemon scent.

I'm well aware that the Duke is incredibly clever so I'm sure he'd be able to decipher what I really mean. Afterwards I called for the head butler and gave him the message.

He is the royal family's most trusted servant, who has enough trust to send out messages and ensure that they reach where they are supposed to go safely. But he must undoubtedly be going to Penelope first then delivering the letter.

A few days passed after I sent the letter and a reply came back. The reply that I wanted to see.