✰NINE✰

_____________________

✰Your smile is

literally the cutest

thing I have

ever seen✰

_____________________

James observed Regulus patiently as he washed his face with cold water in the sink. He knew this wouldn't be easy for him, his parents would easily be able to find him at Hogwarts.

I mean, it was his best friend's little brother of course, why else would he feel such a strong need to protect the boy?

The train shook as it turned a corner, causing Regulus to hold on to the wall for support. James chuckled, walking over to the smaller boy and taking his hand.

"C'mon, you're sitting with me." He led Regulus out of the toilets and down the corridor until they arrived at the same compartment that the four Marauders sat in every year.

"Prongs!? What took you so long?" Sirius asked as he stood from Remus' lap. He spotted Regulus from the corner of his eye and furrowed his brows. "I thought you said Reg didn't want to sit with us?"

"Does it really matter, Pads? He's here now, isn't he?" James grinned, sitting down beside Peter, pulling Regulus down with him. James slung his arms around both Peter and Regulus' shoulders casually, starting a conversation with Remus.

Throughout the whole train ride, James found himself constantly peeking at Reggie from the corner of his eye, checking that he was okay.

It's a weird thing, worrying about someone. Most of the time you don't even understand why you're worrying about that person. What does it matter to you? But no matter how hard you try to push it away, it's still there. It doesn't leave, no, that would be too easy. It sticks with you until there's nothing else for you to do but help that one person that shouldn't mean anything to you.

James knew this. He knew that it was going to be tough enough on his part, let alone Regulus' part. But if that was the way it was, and if nothing could change that, then James would do everything in his power to keep Reggie safe.

"Alright there, mate? You seem a bit out of it." Pete asked, nudging him lightly on the arm. James drew in a sharp breath at being pulled out of his thoughts. He nodded his head and gave the boy a smile. This must have been enough for Peter as he smiled back, before going back to his sweets.

"It's fine, stop worrying." Regulus whispered, seeming to contemplate his choices carefully before allowing his head to fall onto James' shoulder.

The corners of his lips raised slightly as he tried his very best to ignore the heat rising up his neck. That's your best friend's little brother! Bloody hell, you can't think about that stuff, Potter!

He wasn't surprised when he felt 3 pairs of eyes burning holes into him. Though, he did not look up, focusing his eyes on something much more enchanting, the calm, sleeping face of Regulus Black. Weird, I know, but this is James we're talking about.

Sirius, not long after, left the compartment with Remus, for well...er- y'know...reasons, leaving only the three boys. Two of which were fast asleep, Peter and Regulus.