✰FORTY TWO✰

WHO'S READY FOR SOME REMUS AND HUMPHREY THERAPY? NO, BUT LIKE HONESTLY, CAN THEY BE MY THERAPISTS? ENJOY IT WHILE YOU CAN, THINGS ARE GONNA GET...INTERESTING AFTER THIS CHAPTER! LOVE YOU LOTS xx

_____________________

✰ He alone is responsible 

for what he does, 

what he doesn't do, 

and how he responds to what 

is done to him ✰

_____________________

James froze as Regulus exited the room, Humphrey following behind him a few moments later. Sirius slowly removed his hands from his shoulders and grabbed a coat, leaving through the back door to get some air. Bailey went after him, most likely to calm him down. After all, it wasn't every day that you were told a bunch of murderous lunatics were searching for your little brother.

Erin pursed her lips, clearly worried, as she rose from her chair carefully to clean the dishes. James would have gone to help, but right then all he could manage to do was move to sit in the living room, staring into the newly lit fire. His eyes were wide, and he fiddled his fingers around on his lap to stop the shaking.

"Never let the sadness of your past and the fear of your future ruin the happiness of your present." Remus' soft voice spoke from beside him, he hadn't even noticed him coming in, let alone sitting next to him.

"What's that?"

"A quote."

"By?" Moony smirked but hid it with the back of his hand.

"Me." James glanced at him for a split second before returning his gaze to the burning fire before him. "Hello there. My name is Remus Moony Lupin and today I shall be your personal therapist. You don't know me, we're complete strangers. Anything you say will not be repeated nor judged. Go ahead."

"I don't think I'd be able to speak to someone if they weren't a good friend of mine."

"Then you do know me. I am me." Prongs nodded slowly, bringing his legs up into his body, knees under his chin. 

"I feel like I'm waiting for something that isn't going to happen."

"What's that?"

"The Black family has a terrible past, terrible loyalties, terrible beliefs, yet there are two of them that I love and care for with my whole heart. I feel like I'm waiting for all of that bad stuff to disappear so that we can just be together, happy, y'know? But I know that it's never going to happen because that's what the Blacks do. That's who they are. That's not just going to pop out of existence because I love two of them, now is it?" He spoke his thoughts aloud, not bothering to care about what he said anymore.

"Love?"

"What? That's what I said, isn't it?" Remus moved his head up and down thoughtfully.

"Yes...I guess I just didn't realize how strong your feelings were towards Regulus." Lie.

"That's not true, of course you knew. You're Remus Lupin, for Merlin's sake. You always know." He snorted as he failed to hide his laughter.

"Okay, yeah. I knew."

"Then why did you say 'Love?' so weirdly?" Remus did not reply to that, he simply changed the subject.

"Why do you do this to yourself?" James was confused, which was openly shown over his expression, "Why do you allow yourself to overthink these things?"