🍂 x 20

Eden's POV 

I didn't understand it. 

When the sun shone through the small gap in the entrance to our tent again, my mind returned to what Beatrice had told me the previous evening. 

What on Earth did she mean that she didn't hate me? Had everything that I had put her through over the past twelve years done nothing? I supposed the real question that I pose to myself was- had I even really wanted it to? 

Had I really wanted to drive Beatrice away? 

As I thought about her, she stirred in her sleeping bag. 

Not for the first time, I had waken up before her. 

My stomach growled, but I honestly didn't even feel remotely hungry. 

It was the day of the second task, so I quickly got dressed before Beatrice could wake up and then put my trainers on, so I could walk towards the public bathroom. Ew. 

Alright, so I didn't have much of a choice. I had been using it the past few days, no problem. 

I was a strong person. 

I, Eden Ida Thorne, was capable of great things, if I put my mind to them. Hadn't that been exactly what I had told Beatrice? I had told her that I was trying, had I not? 

"Hey Ede," a voice spoke from behind me, as I carefully spat my toothpaste into the sink. I rinsed my mouth out and then turned to find who had spoken- Ren. "It's your birthday soon, right? Well, the school council sort of offered for me to join them and we're going to be hosting a pre-Halloween party. I thought it would be nice if you suggested some ideas, given that you tend to host most of the parties..." her voice faded out. 

It was true, I was almost eighteen but I had been hosting parties ever since I was younger. 

That only lasted so long, of course. 

Eventually, people stopped attending them. That much didn't surprise me. 

"Sure," I said in agreement, knowing that I couldn't snap at Ren. As much as I ordinarily might have, I knew that she hadn't done anything wrong. "See you at the second task, Ren," I added, before I made my way out of the bathroom with my bag. 

I returned to the tent to find that Beatrice was just leaving it. 

She didn't say a word, as she passed by me and walked off in the direction of the women's bathroom. 

Alright, fine. Be that way, then. 

I couldn't say that it wasn't as if I didn't deserve it. 

I had abandoned her the previous evening, when she had started asking for answers. 

However, what was I supposed to do? I couldn't tell her everything. 

I might have trusted her but that was a stretch for me. 

As I thought about the second task, I tried to stay positive about it but I couldn't help feeling a little frightened. 

The last task had shown me that I wasn't the bravest bunny in the hutch, especially where heights were concerned. 

I knew that now was not the time to be worried about that, though. 

Besides, there were far more frightening things, I considered, as I walked towards the rest of the students. 

My stomach felt as though something heavy had dropped into it, as Beatrice came to stand beside me. 

What was actually wrong with me lately? 

I pushed that question out of my mind and decided to listen to what Mr. King was saying. 

The next task would be kayaking. 

That was the miracle of the year, I was sure. 

My parents had taken me kayaking plenty of times, when I was younger, so this would be easy. 

As I thought on that, I felt shuffling beside me and turned to find that Beatrice was anxiously adjusting her weight between her feet. 

"What's your problem?" I asked her carelessly. 

Beatrice immediately looked at me. 

"Huh? Nothing," she said, before her eyes glanced down towards the grass again. 

I shrugged and led the way on with the others, as we made our way towards the lake. 

The lake was a beautiful, clear and shimmering body of water located a short distance away from the main campsite. 

It was perfect for kayaking. For the first time, in a while, I genuinely felt happy to be on this trip. 

"Alright, team. Stick with your partner for this one, alright? You're all going to have lifejackets, so don't worry about that one. Just go out there and have some fun!" Mr. King said enthusiastically. 

I put the life jacket on and then fastened the belt and then went to assist Beatrice with hers. 

As I fastened the belt for her, I felt her eyes right on me and felt warmth rush to my cheeks. 

Now was not the time for this level of stupidity. 

Focus, Eden, I thought to myself. 

We then walked out towards the kayaks and got into them and as soon as the instructor gave us permission to go, I began to paddle my way out across the water, assuming that Beatrice was following me. 

I was a short distance out when I realised that she wasn't, in fact, following me. 

"It's not difficult, Beatrice, and you can't be that stupid. Just paddle," I said. 

Beatrice gave me a nod and then started to paddle towards me. 

"For goodness' sake. You're not scared, are you?" I asked her, only to pause when I realised she was taking deep breaths, as though calming herself down. 

As it seemed to turn out, I wasn't the only one with a secret fear. 

"I'm fine," she managed to say, though I could tell from her expression that she was anxious. "I've got this," she continued, with a kind smile, as she began to paddle forward a little. 

I followed after her. 

If she drowned, I would be in serious trouble... with my hairdresser, after I had plunged into the water to rescue her. 

"Beatrice!" I called out to her, with this thought in mind, "Hold on!"