🌳 x 23

In stark contrast to the previous evening, the following morning began quiet and still. 

I sat up in my sleeping bag and stretched, before I went to get ready. The air outside was cool and there was frost on the grass. 

Once the sun rose a little higher, I was sure that the frost would melt. 

Continuing on towards the bathroom, I soon headed inside. 

After I had washed my face and brushed my teeth, it was time for me to return to the tent to find that Eden had only just woken up. 

She was sat up in her sleeping bag with her eye mask pushed up into her hair, like a hairband. 

"Hey! I'll be ready soon and then I'll come and meet you," she said. 

This was new for her, but I had to admit that I liked it. 

"Alright, see you soon," I said to her, as she stood up with the bag of supplies she was going to take with her. 

"Of course, you will," she said, as she passed by me. "I have to be your loyal partner now and make sure you don't drown or get eaten by bears." 

As Eden headed off, something was telling me that she had either had some crazy dreams, or she was being genuinely nice to me now. 

Shaking my head a little, I made sure that I was all sorted for the day ahead and then walked out of the little tent and towards the rest of the students.

I tightened my shoe laces and by the time I had stood upright again, Eden had come to join me. 

"That was quicker than I was expecting," I said. 

"Oh yeah, I'm really efficient," she replied. Her eyes grew a fraction larger, as she realised what she had said. "I mean- I don't know what I mean. Has Mr. King said what the next task is yet?" she inquired. 

 "Yeah- it's a maze," I said. 

At least, that was the impression that I was getting from what the mutterings of the people around us. 

Eden took a breath, then, as though relieved that she wouldn't have to face any heights again. 

"Alright," she said. She seemed a lot more accepting of this task. 

Mr. King then explained what we had to do next and, sure enough, the final task would be taking place in a maze. 

The two of us began to make our way towards the maze, and Eden soon turned to me again. 

"Are you alright?" she asked me, as we were directed to enter the maze, one pair at a time. 

I turned to her with curiosity in my gaze. 

"I mean, did you manage to sleep alright last night? The storm didn't keep you up, did it?" she asked me. 

"I slept fine," I said, with a small smile, "Why do you ask?" 

"I guess I do care about you," she blurted. 

Before I could reply to that, Mr. King directed for the two of us to enter the maze. 

To pass this challenge, we had to make it to the centre of the maze. 

"We can figure this out," I said calmly. 

Eden glanced towards me and nodded. 

The two of us began to move forward and I soon spoke again. 

"By the way, I do care about you too," I said. "You're amazing, to be honest. You've achieved so much that I never would have thought possible." 

"Academic achievements don't mean as much when you haven't been a good person," she replied. 

"Eden..." I trailed off. 

We had been walking so far, without paying much attention to where we were going, and now had come to a dead end. 

The green hedge that stood before us was a clear indication of the phrase, 'you shall not pass'. 

 When Eden looked towards me again, her mouth came slightly agape. 

"I wanted to apologise for everything," I said. 

"Me too. I really am sorry, Bea," she said, as her eyes began to shimmer a little, with tears. "I spent so much time writing to try to escape the world, when really all I should have been doing was trying to fix the things that I had messed up. I've been so careless, for so long. I've made so many social errors, but most of those I have made when it comes to you. I should never have shut you out. We could have been friends- we could have been-" she cut off, then, as we came to another dead end. She sighed and sat down upon the grass in frustration. 

I sighed in sympathy and then sat down next to her. 

She opened her bag and pulled out a cookie. 

Then, she turned to me again. 

"Cookie?" she asked me, with a sweet smile upon her lips.

"Thank you," I said, as she handed me a cookie. 

I took a bite and instantly savoured its deliciousness. 

 "I'm sorry too, Eden," I said. 

"I know," she replied, causing my eyes to widen a little. "I trust you." 

I smiled, then. 

"We've been so clueless," I said. 

"That we have," she agreed, though there was something else behind her expression; something that I wasn't too certain of.  "We could be friends, now, Bea. We could do things that we've missed out on." She continued, "You could come over and have a look at some of my art...and then we could go and have a good look at my pool. We don't even have to swim in it." 

I chuckled at the suggestion. 

"My parents want to take me to London to see Hamilton this year," I said then, "You could come with me. Axel's going on holiday to Cyprus, so he won't be able to." 

Eden's eyes sparkled with wonder at the idea. 

"You would really want me to go with you?" she asked me. 

"My mother works in musical theatre, I insist upon it," I said, with a small smile. 

"I actually got a job as a waitress for the summer...don't laugh. I just want to prove to my parents that I can make my own money," she said. 

I felt my smile grow slightly. 

"No, no. I can understand that," I said reassuringly.