Chapter 3

Sitting up with a jolt, Niall awoke to the sound of a gunshot and a scream. Watching from the inside of the cave as a zombie's head was blown off. 

Greg awoke at that, feeling his brother start to breathe heavy. Immediately hearing the curses of the old man holding the gun, watching as he dropped to his knees, clearly starting to change as the zombie bit him before he could shoot. 

Focusing his attention back on Niall he turned him around in his lap. "Hey look at me, don't watch that, it's ok your safe, your with me." Niall gave a jolty nod at that, sucking in a breath and holding out his arms for his brother. 

Greg wasted no time in hugging the small boy in his lap and rocking him slightly, just like his mother used to. 

That brought a sad smile to Greg's face as he calmed Niall. "Let's get going yeah? We need to get to the mall before any more zombies show up." Niall nodded, steadying himself on his feet as Greg put him down. 

Trying not to let the anxiety in his stomach get to him at the loss of contact from his brother. He was a being baby, he was six for crying out loud he didn't need to be swaddled by his brother every waking moment. 

At that thought Niall swiped his nose with his too long pajama sleeve taking a breath and looking to Greg for direction. Greg just smiled sadly at his brother, reaching out a hand for the kid to take. 

Taking a breath, Niall stepped out of the cave with his brother, trying to steady his breathing and praying they wouldn't be attacked by a zombie. 

Greg tugged him forward then, after glancing around the woods, he dashed out through the trees, still clutching his baby brothers hand. Niall let out a yelp at that, but nonetheless followed his brother through the forest and towards the towns mall. 

.

.

Nialls legs burned with every step, tripping over his own two feet as he tried to keep up with his brother. Greg on the other hand was paying attention to the small group of zombies in the mall parking lot. 

Making a split second decision he hosted Niall onto his hip and ran faster than he ever has before. The mall zombies quickly spotted the boys, running at them with an evil glow in their dead, yellow eyes. 

Niall clutched onto Greg after seeing the creatures, hoping they would both be ok. Greg, using his football skills, was able to maneuver around the zombies getting to the mall doors. 

He set Niall down ready to open the door when a small cry was heard from behind him. He turned to see a zombie charging at Niall. Quickly grabbing the blonde he rushed out. "I love you so much Niall, you have to be brave. I love you. I'm so sorry." 

Niall sobbed at that, "I love you too Greggy, why are you sorry?" Soon realizing what Greg meant he was being shoved through the doors. 

Greg slammed them closed, locking them in place with a crowbar he found on the ground, just in time for the zombie to tackle him to the ground. 

Niall screamed and sobbed. His brother, his best friend, his only family left, just sacrificed his life for him. He banged on the doors trying to get out, but to no avail. 

Niall watched as the zombie bit into Greg's neck. He saw the color leave his eyes and his skin pale. Greg was gone, and Niall was all alone.