Chapter 9

After Liam and Niall got back into the truck they continued to drive. It took the whole day to get to the city and little Niall had fallen back asleep. Things had been extremely tense, ever since Louis and Zayn lashed out at each other. 

The car ride was silent as the boys arrived in the outskirts of the city. Deciding to walk the rest of the way to avoid being spotted, Zayn parked the truck in an old abandoned warehouse. As the boys filtered out of the truck, Liam gently shook the small boy in his arms. 

"Time to wake up Niall, we're here," Liam cooed. 

Niall whined, burying his head further into Liam's neck, he had never been a morning person. "Go way' I'm sleepin," the blonde huffed. 

Liam chucked at that. Sliding out of the truck with the little boy in his arms. Niall just laid his head on Liam's shoulder. He didn't care anymore, he was grouchy and sad and so done. Not to mention he was starving. 

As the boys walked through the city they found it was completely empty. Suddenly, Niall's head shot up from its place on Liam's shoulder. He kicked his legs out on either side of Liam, much like a toddler. He didn't care, he was more focused on the toy store across the street. 

"Woah little one, why so jumpy?" Liam asked, rubbing the boys back. Niall just let out a whine, trying to squirm out of Liams arms. "Ok ok, someone's feisty," Liam chuckled, setting the blonde back onto his feet. 

Niall just huffed and made his way towards the toy store. Not making it very far, as a hand grabbed onto his shoulder. 

"Woah buddy, where do you think you're going. Zombie infested city, remember?" Zayn said, crouching down to the boys height. 

"Wanna go to the toy store Zayn please," Niall whined. 

The boys were a bit surprised by how moody Niall was being, but they knew his emotions were all over the place and he was just a kid after all. 

"Fine let's go," Zayn sighed, taking hold of the blonde's hand. 

When arriving among the store the boys found the doors were blocked. 

Preparing to tell Niall they couldn't get in, ready to face the tears of the sleepy six year old, Liam turned to see Zayn smashing the window with one of the old trolleys left outside. Lifting Niall onto his hip, Zayn climbed through the window with Niall, the others trudging behind.

Zayn sat Niall back on his feet and Niall immediately ran to the stuffed animals. Glancing back to the boys for confirmation, earning a nod, Niall slowly reached out, grabbing a small grey elephant. Greg loved elephants. Tears pricked in his eyes at that thought. 

Turning around to face the boys once again, his bottom lip wobbling, he whimpered out, "I want this one please, Greggy loved elephants. Can I take this one?" 

The boys felt their hearts break at that statement, Harry stepped toward the boy then. "Course you can love no need for tears." 

Niall nodded hugging the elephant to his chest. He took a step towards Harry then, deciding to trust him too. After all, his family was gone. The boys were all he had now. He held his arms up for Harry. He craved some sort of comfort and Harry was more than welcome to give him it. 

Harry lifted the boy easily holding him close, hugging the blonde. "It's ok don't cry, someone's a little fussy huh. It's been a long day yeah." 

 Niall nodded, fisting Harry's shirt. He decided then and there he quite liked Harry. The man was tall and intimidating, yet seemed very gentle when it came to him. Sucking in a breath, Niall let go of his tight hold on Harry's shirt, leaning back slightly to look at the teen. 

Harry smiled lightly running his hand through Niall's hair, leaving his hand on the child's cheek. Niall melted into the touch, whimpering slightly. "Harry?" The little lad asked. 

"Yes baby?" The curly lad replied. 

"I'm hungry," Niall blushed embarrassed. 

"Hmm, me too. How about you and the boys stay here, I'll run to the truck and grab some dinner, then we will camp out in this store for the night, yeah," Harry said, glancing at Niall and the other boys. They all nodded. "Alright then, I won't be long," Harry said, setting Niall on his feet. 

With that Harry climbed out the window, disappearing down the street. The rest of the boys had laid some blankets they had found on the floor and were sitting around talking to one another. 

Niall walked over, still a little shy around the boys, but feeling safe. He plopped himself down on Liam's lap. Earning a coo from the rest of the boys. He sighed, holding his elephant to his chest. Sure he didn't have his family, but at least the boys were here with him, and he allowed that to be enough.