Chapter 15: A Really Big Down Payment

Seems like it wasn't enough to hand over my weapons; they also took my money and ammunition.

I was held in a cell for that entire night. It wasn't like I haven't ever been detained, but I had absolutely no clue if Dwargon offered rights to prisoners.

The metal door to my cell opened, and a guard looked in.

"Come out. King Gazel wishes to see you."

I was basically dragged to the throne of the guy who ruled this city, all while cuffed and shackled. 

This was irritating and all, but I was more scared than annoyed. I've never actually met any prominent politician face-to-face before, much less an actual king. The person with the most authority I've ever met was some guy running a rally as a state senator, and he didn't win that election.

I stood in what I presume was a throne room. I honestly did not actually expect one of these, because I thought throne rooms were kinda useless. What the hell kinda policy would a leader expect to enact from a glamorized chair?

The guy who actually sat on the throne, on the other hand, made me reconsider saying anything 'witty' or 'clever'. He looked like the type of guy that'd lift.

Actually, he probably doesn't lift. He most likely bulked up from his routine work alone, he'd be an absolute beast if he did decide to lift.

And this was their king? Yeah, I don't like tyrants but my sense of self-preservation was much stronger in that regard.

My brain was smart. Despite that, my mouth was not. It decided to run off one of the 'witty' comments I had in the back of my throat.

"Is it normal for ya to meet with every person that's been arrested in this country?"

"Silence!" one of the Dwarven guards yelled. "You should be humbled that King Gazel has called for you personally!"

That answered the question, you didn't need to be so loud about it.

"Hello, Gaz— King Gazel. Apologies for my rude entrance."

I corrected myself immediately when mentioning his name. As much as I didn't immediately like this guy, I didn't want my head lobbed off.

"It is rude to speak without introducing yourself," Gazel stated. "Especially seeing that you already know of my name."

I frowned. This guy had me arrested and all, hell the guards earlier were looking for me by name.

"Shouldn't you already have that info?"

"I want to hear it from the person herself," he stated.

Stubborn as hell king. He probably knew it anyway, so it wouldn't hurt to comply.

"Talleigh Dispolt. Race, Automaton. Nice to meet you."

Not.

"An Automaton. I have not seen one in ages," he stated.

Following that was an uncomfortable silence between the two of us.

"Look, I know I'm rare 'n all... you guys won't disassemble me or anything, right?"

"No need to fear," he reassured. "We will not get anything out of dissecting you. What were you doing in Dwargon, may I ask?"

"Do I need to answer that particular question anytime soon?"

"Insolence!" the guard yelled. Before he could make a move, though, Gazel raised his palm to stop the guard.

The Dwarven leader shifted on his throne. "I won't say that you have to. But I can wait for an answer."