The Creation...

The man swathed in shadows reached out a pale finger and picked up something before the fire's flames. Carved in pure white crystal and obsidian black, the chess piece was one symbol of a king's court. On its mount, the piece was fashioned as a Pawn—a Courtier. Cloaked in a simple doublet with tiny pepples of gold. This was the first piece he chose to move on the chessboard. Two spaces ahead.

There were other pieces. King. Queen. Bishop—the High Priest. Knight—Knight. Rooke—Executioner. Pawn—Courtier. Thirty-two pieces in all. And he had no opponent. He was playing against himself. And he moved the pieces at his will.

Spinning the board around to the black pieces, he already had opened space for his Rooke. The Executioner was a part of the court, but he served himself, not the King, not anyone. He wielded his bloody blades with vigour to cut down those he deemed unworthy or an infection in the game of Chess. He picked up this piece and gazed at it through the haze of black shadows surrounding him. Even the fire could not make the shadows dispense— they were a part of him. Entirely. They trailed off his fingers and curled around the black gemstone piece in whisks. Shrouding the chess piece, set with a grim mouth and in its smooth hands, it gripped an axe. A powerful piece, destined for greatness. He brought the Executioner down, stamping down on the board. The tiny axe crunched against the Courtier and flew off the board and landed, its head decapitating from its body. How befitting.

Let's get the game of Chess started....Hm.

And so far, the Executioner has made the first strike.

He had ended life in his move to make his bid.

I wonder what "pieces" he will make move?

But in the end...Will he embrace the role he is destined for?

Or will he lead another life?

If so, may he watch out for my coming to steer him back onto his right path.

Keep me pleased with the results, "Executioner".

Smiling, he sat back and let the pieces move as the life in their souls gave them, rising up to bring justice for the fallen Courtier, and Executioner clawing his way through in a bid for the Crown of the King.