Chapter the Ninth

"Presenting His Majesty, King Fayre Ashalyn Heart of Estela, and Queen Melia Ionia Heart," Sir Whittaker bellowed.

The courtiers of The Hall of a Thousand Souls, bowed in one synchronized motion as Queen Melia in the arm of her King. Ellius' father wore a gray and gold doublet. His ink hair streaked with salt and pepper was tied back in a long que accenting his strong jaw. He ruled the Empire of Glass with dominance like a lion over his pride, a power to be reckoned with.

Ellius paused and waited beside the White Rabbit for her announcement, whose entire existence revolves around the concept of time because, you know, rabbits are notorious for their impeccable time management skills. And let's not forget Sir Whittaker, the fashion-forward rabbit in his red-and-black checkered waistcoat, because nothing screams sophistication like a rabbit in plaid.

The timing was perfection to please the King of Hearts.

There was drama brewing in the shadows! Mary-Anne, the epitome of enthusiasm, just could not contain her excitement for this thrilling announcement. Oh wait, no, scratch that, she's actually bored out of her mind, and who can blame her when she's stuck waiting for an eternity just to descend from wherever she's lurking in the shadows.

She sidled over to her.

"Bored to hell?" she asked, hiding a smile behind her painted nails.

"Yes." Mary-Anne scowled. "He won't release me until all are descended. And he promised if I fidget he'll make me wait five more hours." She grunted, rolling her shoulders. "I've got an itch on my back on my back and I can't reach it!" she moaned. Ellius' impeccably manicured nails, provided both relief for Mary-Anne's itch and entertainment for us readers.

"Aaah," she sighed. "Thank you, Your Highness. Oops! Whittaker is going to announce you."

And finally, the moment we've all been waiting for: the grand entrance of Her Royal Highness.

He checked his large diamond-tipped pocket watch before raising a trumpet to his lips. "Presenting Her Royal Highness, Ellius Rose Heart of Estela!"

The howl of the trumpet made her ears ring and could wake the dead.. For a grizzled, old rabbit, his lungs still pack a wallop! Ellius set her jaw and stepped forth into the Hall's luminous light. She heard the gasps and murmurs of the court in her ears.

"What a beauty!"

"She is a lovely creature, indeed!"

"Ha! How handsome she is! Look at that topaz in her neck! It's as big as a walnut shell!"

More scandalous. "Where the hells did she get that dress?"

"Like a peach, ripe for the plucking."

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw one woman choke back emotion. The guests spread like an opening fan as she reached the final step. She smiled. This is my court.

"Come, ladies and gentlemen, let the first dance begin." Ellius spread her hands. "Come, musicians, play!'

Instantly, courtiers linked arms and hurried down the stairs. Mary-Anne shot Ellius a grateful smile while Sir Whittaker looked on the verge of exploding.

The Court musicians struck up a beautiful, twirling waltz. Couples formed up and were spun away by the music.

"My Princess, may I have this dance?" came a jowly voice. She turned to the extended hand of Mardoc. He was dressed in a hideous bright orange dotted with caramel. He wore a cravat of molasses and his ginger hair looked like he'd been pulled through a blackberry bush backward.

He looked like a squashed pumpkin pastie.

The words "NO" were on her lips when Ellius felt the drilling gaze of someone. From behind several gossiping ladies and their painted fans, green eyes met Ellius.