The Seer

After stepping out of her nightgown, she turned the hot water nozzle on in the tub and let it run until it was three-fourths of the way full. As she added her weight, the water spilled out to the cracked tile floor. She sat in that hot bath until the steam went away.

For her Sunday's best, she threw on a gingham top and black hand-me-down overalls. She didn't bother with socks or the like and stepped into her doc martens.

She went into the kitchen and greeted her sister-in-law, Logan, who mumbled a reply then returned her eyes to the Sunday paper. Alex threw together yesterday's biscuits with ham and tossed the plate on the table. Logan let the paper drop to the floor so she could reach the plate.

On the way out, Alex almost forgot her Bible, but her house keys happened to be sitting on it. She tucked the book on the inside of her overalls and put the keys in her pocket.

When she shut the door behind her, she whispered, "By the grace of God, please let this sermon end quickly."

Alex blended in with the dowdily dressed families heading to Living Waters Tabernacle, the sole church in Frost Valley. It was also the only place she could meet other human beings after being banned from most of the town's watering holes.

She cut through the church parking lot. Alex waved hello at the O'Hara's, who were busy trying to corral their two-year-old twins. Familiar rolling laughter shot out behind her. She hastened her pace, hoping to remain unseen. She nearly made it too, before a spotted hand grasped onto her elbow.

She suppressed her curse words into a, 'My word where the heck did you come from.'

"Long time no see Alexandra. Aren't you just as pretty as a peach blossom."

"Not as pretty as you. Why, sister, you are getting younger each time I see you."

"No thanks to my family. " The elder woman belted out her infamous carburetor laugh.

Berta gave her a firm hug that breathed energy into her bones. Out of all the church mothers, Berta reigned supreme as the nicest and the nosiest mom in Frost Valley. From accurate baseball predictions to which one of the neighborhood women would be getting married, she knew it all. Now they were linked arm and arm. Alex tried to swallow, but her mouth still felt dry. The last thing she wanted to do was dig up her life with the town reporter.

"Hank and I passed Paul on the way back from breakfast." Berta gave Alex's hand a gentle pinch then smirked. "After all these years, he still gushes over you."

"I don't know why. All I seem to do is cause him problems."

"Problems aren't the only thing you cause him to have."

"Ms. Berta!"

She laughed so loud it made the people in front of them look back. Alex prayed to disappear.

The crowd funneled into the stuffy church house. Shoulders bumped into shoulders, separating some before they could reach the pews. Berta never once lost grip.

Most older mothers sat at the front right-hand side of the church, but Berta couldn't work her magic in front of the pastor. She lured Mrs. Alex to the third row away from the exit. Berta handed a hymnal to Alex.

On the cover of the brown leather-bound books was a series of six honeycombs with a cross in the center connecting them all. The lights dimmed around them as the church organ played a low toned melody.

Berta's feather thin lips inched up to Alex's ear.

"I happen to have it on good spiritual authority that—" Berta smacked her forehead. " There is something you need to know. I forgot to tell you about it because you kept missing church, you know the pastor, eloped with another man."

"What?"

"You're not the only one who's shocked. I could have sworn Belinda raised her better."

The door to the administration hall opened up, revealing an unfamiliar face. Murmurs slowly drowned out the music. This person's skin shone a sickly white. His towering body cast a frightening shadow over the pulpit. He hooked his spidery fingers around the edges of the podium. He peered down, causing his pearl-white hair to cascade over his face.

"Glory be to God." His voice boomed through the speakers.