The Pastor

A shocked, "And to God be the Glory." came out of the congregations' mouths.

"To God Be the Glory!" He shouted.

"Glory be to God." The congregation responded more in unison, but with way less power.

Alex looked puzzled towards Berta, but even she seemed speechless.

"My name is Pastor Isaiah Marks. Word around the parishes is that the Living Waters has become a corrupt den of fornicators and gossipers. I was sent here because my once good friend Pastor Green, fell in love with a soldier less than half her age."

The statement itself didn't surprise anyone, rather that he had the guile to proclaim it openly.

His arachnid fingers carefully tucked his hair behind his ears.

"Whilst she prior gave her heart to another man whom to this day lives, loves, and breathes for her. God does not abide infidelity or disloyalty and I certainly won't let it pass. I will cleanse this community. You will learn to fear God."

Alex didn't know too much about God but she certainly feared Pastor Marks. His sermon went rather quickly, but it made the majority of the town uncomfortable. He shot out bible verses as though they were historical proclamations.No one wanted to meet their eyes with his.

For the first time the town folks didn't linger to chat after church. They rushed out the doors taking caution to not alert Pastor Marks.

Berta pulled Alex aside once they made it to the parking lot.

"I wanted to tell you the news. You should be expecting a child in the very near future."

Those words hit like a tornado but instead she snickered.

"Are you sure?"

"The spirit never lies dear. If you have time, stop by my house for tea and I can tell you more."

"So you're the town witch." Pastor Marks smiled.

The old woman released her grip on Alex. They both poorly hid their worry from him with toothy grins. They wonder how he showed up behind them. Either way Alex could tell Berta was annoyed.

"Why pastor, I wouldn't call my gift witchcraft."

Up close his ivory skin easily displayed the working veins beneath. His hair had a glossy gold tinge. The pastor stared deeply into the old woman's eyes.

"I would proceed...cautiously then with your gift."

"I would never put up an affront to the most high. I've done this since before you could walk." Berta proclaimed with her hands posted on her hips.

"I don't doubt that one bit." The pastor turned to Alex. "You seem concerned. The best relief isn't from divination, but earnest prayer. I am available here and at the white house off Cranberry Place if you wish to seek real spiritual counsel. Ladies."

He bowed before heading back into the church.

"Pretentious bastard."

"Berta!"

"Who does he think he is? He's tryna' pick a fight on a Vallians home turf."

"Please don't let him get to you. He will blend right in in no time." Alex assured.