Brother Dear

Alex marched up the long stairs to the front door. When her foot stepped on the doormat, a chime rang throughout the house. She could feel her stomach acid bubbling wildly. The back of her shoes began to cut into her heels. Voices reached over one another as they inquired about the butler's whereabouts. Alex wondered how much longer she'd wait. The door frame became her pillow. Again the chime went off this time at a higher volume. With a swift yank, the door opened, and Alex hurried to straighten herself.

A woman with graying black dreadlocks had answered. While her skin looked youthfully taut, her eyes gave away her seniority. She wore a mauve dress that hovered above her ankles. Her hand lost grip of her teacup, and it broke into large pieces.

"What in the world are you doing here?"

Alex pushed her way into her old family home.

Light from the diamond-shaped chandelier warmed her forehead. Fried apple scent filled the hallway, nearly making Alex gag. Shaking her head she continued down the hall towards the kitchen. Eddie had to be in there. All he ever wanted for breakfast was memaw's fried apples.

From the closet beside her, a giant robot rolled out scaring a shriek from her. It ignored her and went straight to the broken cup. Steam and lite detergent ejected from between its bristles. The woman caught Alex by the arm.

"Edward will not abide your presence."

"Well he doesn't have to abide it long. Where is he?"

She heard the sound of the piano, albeit only a whisper. Applause soon followed. One quick pivot and Alex hurried down the west hall to the sitting room.

Thick pipe smoke filled the air. At the grand piano sat a twelve-year-old girl with her hair done in two pigtails. Her glittering dress had ruffled layers that kissed the floor. Adjacent to the young girl was a burly man with a thick but well groomed beard. He nodded approvingly of her performance. She turned over her sheet music then announced her next song, "Jupiter, by Gustav Holst" . The men chuckled in delight. The sound of her mother's heels made her look. Instead, she first saw Alex.

"Auntie Alexandra!"

The man in the chair stood. A smile lit up his chiseled face. The guest in the room whispered to themselves save for Pastor Marks, who only observed in steady curiosity. Edward's wife maneuvered past Alex and ran to him. She whispered in his ear, but he waved her away.

Alex felt the fires of hell lick at her feet as her brother headed towards her. She backed up but not far enough to avoid his clutches. His pampered hands cupped her face. Alex tried to budge, but his grip ripped into her like barbwire.

"If it isn't my feral little Alley Cat."

Alex rested her hands on his.He let go of her face quickly and turned to his company.

"Brunch will be served in the dining room . Gwendolyn take special care that the newcomers don't get lost."

The guest were slow to catch the hint, but soon put out their pipes and followed his wife.

"You too, Francis."

The girl lowered her head and belted past them.

Edward shut the door behind her leaving a sliver of space between himself and Alex. Chewing tobacco rolled around his tongue.  Just the heat of him made the nightmares return. Alex shut her eyes tight. He stepped back and her arms went to block from a blow.

After a few moments silence elapsed she looked around. Edward stood at the side table on the other side of the room pouring himself a small glass of scotch.

"It's amazing how unrefined you remain even after domestication.You showing up years after mom's death is beyond cruel. Memorial after memorial not even a glimpse of you."

Alex clutched her chest.

"I'm sorry Eddie."

"Sorry, sorry ," His baritone voice shook.  "You murderer, how dare you even show me your face!"

Edward flipped the side table breaking the decanter into pieces. Alex backed into the door. Rugged breaths broke up his curse ridden screams . His body collapsed against the wall.  He hunted around his pockets until he found his inhaler.

Alex went over to him.

"If you touch me I will do something we'll both regret. Stay where you are."