Chapter Twenty-Two

WHILE THEY MAY HAVE GOTTEN A NIGHT to themselves after breaking into Adeline's house, the next following days were spent working on the investigation.

They still spent time together. Jo sat on his lap or laid in bed while he went through every document they took pictures of in Issac's secret room and printed them to search through for clues for who the people who attacked her are and where they're hiding. Some of them were unimportant, personal drivel he had to flip through and read just in case, but others were more revealing.

Harry was sitting at the desk while she laid in his bed, reading a book he recommended to her, when he found something that piqued his interest for the first time since printing and reading all of the photographs.

His hair was messy from days of neglecting it in favor of sitting at the desk for hours, and she had to lure him away from it every once in a while to trick him into taking care of himself. The easiest way to get him to wake from his trance was to simply walk over, sit down right on his lap, and sweep her hair off to one side to reveal her neck.

Ever since the night they spent together, he only feeds from her, nothing or no one else, and it's drawn them closer in a way she hadn't expected. When he told her, when they spent that night talking up on the top of that cliff for hours, that feeding from one human consistently forms an incredibly intimate relationship, she hadn't understood it until now. Granted, they already have an intimate relationship in other ways, but in terms of him drinking her blood, it was only two rare incidents before this. Now, it's every day.

He takes less than he did the first three times to prevent her from losing too much at once, but he drinks much more frequently now. It makes her feel embarrassed sometimes to enjoy it so much.

Whenever he tucks his face into her neck and bites, she relaxes into his arms and unknowingly lets out those soft little noises that rile him up so much. The difference between when he used to feed from her before and now is that he's able to act on how it makes him feel now.

As a distraction, it works wonders, because as soon as he hears those sounds falling from her, his mind is taken away from the endless pictures of letters and diaries enough to come back to them later with a clear head.

That was what happened when he found what he did a few days ago, after she climbed into his lap like clockwork to remind him to take a break and ended up pinned against the shower wall with her legs clinging around his hips.

Their skin flushed from the heat of the shower spraying down on them while he fucked her, pressing in slowly and deeply enough for her to gasp out his name. Her amatory touch curled around his wrist to raise one of the hands digging into her hips and press it over the base of her abdomen with her hand molded over his. Their fingers laced together, her bare ones slipping over the edges of his gold "HS" rings.

"Feel," she whispered with their foreheads pressed together, pushing his open palm down to feel the subtle bulge of his cock through her lower belly on the upstroke.

He was back at the desk when he called her over to look at a letter between Issac and an anonymous person he addressed at the beginning of the letter as "Benjamin"—though they both doubted that was the person's real name, seeing as Issac also used an alias under the name of "Henry".

"They mention a safe house at the corner of Wealdstone and Redwood in this one. I don't think that's where whoever Benjamin is lives, but if they were using it, m'sure their friends do too. If I can kidnap one of them and bring them back to get information out of them...we might be one step closer to finding our next target," he explained.

That's how she ended up here, sitting on the couch in Harry's living room across from where Niall and Mitch sit on the other one.

Silence permeates the air between where they sit and where she does, legs crossed one over the other as she looks around the room awkwardly, avoiding their gazes at all costs.