My Escape

STRONG TRIGGER WARNING: THIS WILL CONTAIN MENTIONS OF ABUSE/DOMESTIC VIOLENCE. Please do not read if this will trigger you.

@oliviarodrigo3 this is for you, bb. Thank you so much for requesting, and I hope that this (as well as the next few parts) are everything you hoped/asked for ❤️
_______________________________
It had been a hard week for Josh work wise. He was an attorney who specialized in domestic violence cases. Everyone he knew had told him that he should've chosen a different area to specialize in, as domestic violence can take a toll on you emotionally, but he didn't care. He didn't want to spend the rest of his life winning custody battles or divorce cases (not that those are bad or boring) but he just wanted to help people. He wanted to save people.

He was fairly new to the world of law, having only passed the BAR exam 6 months ago. Since he was relatively young, he was finding it difficult to get cases. People would meet with him and then when they saw that he was in his late 20's with little experience they would just bail. It's understandable, but how the hell is he supposed to get experience if no one gives him the opportunity? Today, however... today was gonna be different. He was currently sitting in this quaint little coffee shop called The Beanery in downtown LA, waiting to meet with his next client. His client, Sierra was a girl he knew his freshman year of high school, but she had moved away that summer and he accidentally ran into her at the pharmacy a couple weeks ago.

They chatted about how they had been over the years and he learned that she recently moved back because her boyfriend of five years had gotten a new job here. He never thought anything of it at the time, as she didn't look hurt or scared, but when he glanced down at the floor, his eyes caught sight of her grocery basket. It had been filled with various medications, first aid supplies, and even a sling. It was only when she cleared her throat that he looked back up at her and noticed tears brimming her eyes. He saw the desperation in her features and told her what he did for a living and that he wanted her to meet him at this new coffee shop on Saturday. "No! I-I can't! He's home on Saturdays and he doesn't like me leaving without knowing where I am. The only way I could meet you would be when he's at work." The young girl told him, fear evident in her shaky voice. They talked for a few more minutes, deciding to meet at the coffee shop Tuesday at 12:30 before she made her way to the checkout line, leaving him standing there in a state of shock. He thinks he might've just landed his first real client that would actually give him the time of day!

She was supposed to show up 30 minutes ago, and he hadn't yet heard from her, which he thought was strange. He tried calling her cell but she never answered. Josh wasn't gonna go into panic mode yet, deciding that she was probably stuck in LA traffic and didn't like to talk on the phone and drive at the same time. He planned to wait another fifteen minutes before he'd call it quits. Five agonizingly long minutes had gone by when the bell rang throughout the shop, alerting the employees that a customer had arrived. Josh rose quickly from his seat and turned around to meet his client but frowned when he realized it was only a girl around the same age as him. He sighed and sat back down, but for some reason he was having trouble taking his eyes off of that girl. She was pretty, with long brunette hair, brown eyes, and had the most beautiful complexion.

He was so lost in his thoughts looking at that petite girl that he didn't realize Sierra had taken up the seat in front of him until he saw fingers snapping in his face. "Sh... JOSH!" Sierra exclaimed, snapping him out of his trance. He cleared his throat and looked at the girl in front of him, a blush rising to his cheeks. "Sierra, hi! Sorry, I was, um..." he started, scratching the back of his neck, nervously before continuing, "Well, I don't know what I was doing, to be honest. I was just lost in thought." He told her honestly and she just gave him a small smile and shook her head lightly. "Don't worry about it. Are you ready to get started? I need to make this quick. I told Drew I was getting my nails done." The curly haired boy looked at her, furrowing his eyebrows in confusion. "I thought you said he'd be working?" She sighed, sinking back into her chair. "He was supposed to be, but he called off claiming he needed a personal day to meditate." She told him, rolling her eyes. "I knew I had agreed to meet you, though so I lied to him in order to leave." Josh nodded his head before pulling out a notepad.