The Office Function

Summary: Nini has a run-in with her company's CEO. 😏
*********************************************

Nini stood there looking at her closet. She hated these stupid work functions, and she always found them to be pointless. Yes, she realizes that the CEO of their company is the guest of honor tonight, but she had been thinking of excuses since lunch so she could stay home and watch Netflix instead. But when your mom is Chief of Operations, you don't exactly get that option. Her mother knew of all of her excuses. So here she stood, at her closet, hoping that something, anything would jump out at her and she wouldn't have to truly search in her packed closet for something to wear. She hated work functions with a passion, but she forced herself to go in order to get that promotion she so desperately wanted.

She combed her closet for what felt like hours, but looking at the clock told her it had only been fifteen minutes. In the corner of her eye she saw something packed way in the back that looked completely new. She pushed her clothes aside and reached towards the back and pulled it free. A simple black dress with a deep neckline displayed before her. She figured this would do and it would work fine for a work function, even though she doesn't remember ever buying it.

A half hour later she was in the black cocktail dress that she hoped was professional enough. It showed a little more skin than she liked, but it was all she could come up with on such short notice. She decided to leave her hair down and just curl it and ended up doing the best makeup job she'd ever done in her life. She was shocked at the time and grabbed her clutch and her stilettos before rushing out the door. She had requested an Uber as she descended the three flights of stairs it took to get to the lobby. Nini decided she would finish getting ready in the car because she was already going to be late.

It hadn't taken long to get to the concert hall. She had put her stilettos and a little bit of lipstick on in the car. She thought she looked pretty good... well, from what she could see in her four-inch pocket mirror. People were already mingling when she walked into the hall. Dana spotted her instantly and excused herself, coming towards her. Nini absentmindedly tugged at the hem of her dress trying to make it a little longer.

"Nina." Her mother said in a clipped tone, "This is not the time to be late and to be wearing... whatever you're wearing. This is the CEO we're meeting, not a Tinder date."

"This is all I had. You didn't even tell me about this until today!" She said, exasperated.

Her mother's eyes narrowed, "If you would have checked your email you would have seen the email sent out by admin. Honestly Nina, start acting like an adult and take responsibility."

The irritation Nini felt for her father only grew. Nini's eyes wandered over the crowd as her mother talked, "Excuse me," she hastily interrupted, "I see someone calling me."

Nini walked across the room over to the tallest guy there. "Ej. Save me." His eyes met her, and he laughed.

"Damn SalRobs, you clean up nice." His smile would make any girl swoon. Nini had her crush phase with him, and they had slept together, but after that they realized they worked better as friends.

Nini did a mock curtsy and he laughed, "She met you at the door, huh?" He asked. Nini and Ej had known each other for quite a while. They were in business school together, only he studied sales. His stature made him a solid candidate and he rose up the ranks quickly, while she went on to pile on more student debt to pursue a master's degree.

"Yup. If I end up calling you in the middle of the night to help me move a body you'll know why." She stepped close giving him a hug.

The raven haired man laughed, "Neens let me introduce you to Gina." He motioned to a girl with curly black hair that was drop dead gorgeous. Nini held out her hand and the girl took it shaking it lightly, "Are you new at the firm? I don't remember seeing you around, but in my defense, it is a big office." she laughed.