Dream Chaser

Summary: It's always been Nini's dream to get into Harvard and now that she has, a certain someone comes along and helps her live it.

Rated: wtf do you think, horndogs? Grab your holy water and get to church.
********************************************

"You can do this. You can do this."

Nini mutters a mantra under her breath as she tightly clutches the arm rests of the seat she's currently sitting in. This is her first time on a plane and she knows the statistics backwards and forwards of how unlikely it is for something to go wrong but she can't help but think about how its really just a giant flying metal deathtrap.

What if they crash in the ocean and a shark eats her and- oh god, she's never going to get to Harvard and she's going to be forever remembered as the girl who survived a plane crash only to be eaten by a shark and—

Why would there be sharks, you idiot. You're not even flying over the ocean-

"Is this seat taken? Or is your um... shark coming?"

Her eyes fly open and focus on a tall, curly haired boy about her age with headphones around his neck standing in the aisle, looking like he's stifling a laugh.

She flushes, mortified, and quickly shakes her head. "No, no, go ahead..." she stammers, and releases her grip on the middle arm rest.

He reaches up to stow his backpack and she flushes further as she catches a glimpse of his tanned, toned abdomen, her eyes unconsciously following a trail of dark brown hair from his navel until it disappears into the waistband of his... truck-printed boxers? She suppresses a giggle of her own, momentarily forgetting about her fears as he takes a seat next to her, his long legs immediately bumping up against the seat in front of him.

"Man, these seats are small." he grunts, trying to adjust himself so he's not quite so cramped.

She smiles sympathetically at him and then goes back to closing her eyes tightly, her fingers clenched around the armrest so tightly her knuckles begin to turn white.

She hears him shuffling around, his arm brushing against hers as he buckles his seatbelt.

"Hey, are you okay? You kind of look like shit." She slowly opens her eyes and sees that he at least has the decency to look chagrined.

"Cute shit, that is."

"Gee, thanks," she says sarcastically. "And yeah, it's just that this is my first time on a plane and I'm a little nervous."

His eyes widen in understanding. "Oh! Oh man. You have nothing to be afraid of, I promise. You know the likelihood of something happening is—"

"I know that," she interrupts. "But I'm still a little freaked out and I'm on this plane to Boston because I'm starting college next week and it's pretty much my first time away from home and it's just a lot at once and—"

She suddenly pales. "Oh my god, did you hear that sound? What was that sound?"

The boy raises both of his eyebrows, his expression a little stunned. He recovers quickly, though, and his eyes soften. "It was the door to the baggage compartment closing," he says gently. He fiddles around with the phone in his hands and she watches as he turns off his music.

"So what college are you going to?"

She realizes he's only talking to distract her but she's appreciative nonetheless. "Harvard" she says proudly. "I've wanted to go my entire life and I really couldn't believe it when I got in but I did and I'm so excited and nervous and—"