27 | reunions

━━ REUNIONS

EARLIER...

ERIK DIDN'T KNOW HOW LONG he'd been laying down. 

Time was a forgotten virtue in the prison. Confined within the sand and cement walls, Erik had lost all sense of time and space. He wasn't so much a person anymore, rather a broken down puddle of torn apart shreds. Humanity had taken a back seat.

But that wasn't the first time he'd started to break.

Flashes of their faces passed across his mind, and it took everything in him not to move, not to grunt and throw something against the walls. His hands rested comfortably atop his stomach, and in his quest for bliss, a storm raged underneath. Because that was what he was... rage.

She'd told him in as much. In her terrified looks, in her arms wrapped around her middle. In her eyes, usually an emerald flashing in the sun, reduced to nothing more than a sick pewter green. He could never get that face out of his head, no matter how hard he tried. He'd given everything in him to forget the past. Forget the manor house, where his memories were swathed in honey tinted sunshine, in peaceful happiness. Those few weeks, his world had been near perfect. He'd gained a new branch in his abilities. He'd had Raven, her love and affection for a brief time.

But most of all he'd had her. Leena. Just the sound of her name ricocheting around his mind made him wince. Fragile and delicate, the little girl of chestnut curls and soft smiles. Afraid of who she was, beaten and bruised from Sebastian Shaw's cruelty, Leena had been the brightest ray of light in his life of darkness .

(it was ironic how she was the muse of shadows, yet he saw her as anything but)

She'd been the one Erik had stayed for. Unable to leave when she was carefully mending, Unable to abandon her at the CIA facility after he'd made a promise. A promise he'd broken. A promise he'd broken over and over again.

It was his greatest regret. His greatest fault. And Erik could never fix it.

He would be stuck there for the rest of his life, trapped in a cage with unfinished regrets weighing on his chest. In the ten years, his heart had turned black. Rotten with festering guilt, his broken body had turned to nothing, a mess of anger and sorrow. Unbidden, untamed, a calamity.

Her tear-stained cheeks and terrified eyes flashed across his head, and Erik shut his eyes tighter.

His thoughts were interrupted by something brushing up against the side of his arm. Erik forced himself to move, his stomach grumbling. All images of the day in Cuba were pushed to the back of his mind as the strange white paper tucked into the tray of his food caught his eye. Above the disgusting potatoes and stale bread, the slip of paper read clear in bold letters; Mind the Glass.