08 | frozen in a nightmare

CHAPTER EIGHT...

In the distance, a loud crash sends me scrambling to get up. Fire encompasses a part of the Facility, and one of the walls explodes into smithereens. I bite back my scream as I race down one hall, my legs unsteady, my breathing quick and labored.

He can't be here. He just can't. There's no way Shaw could have found us. I was supposed to be safe, we were supposed to be safe from him. Erik and Charles promised I would be alright!

Another loud boom has me running faster. All the halls look the same, but as I round a corner, I slam into someone. Stars encircle my head as the person grabs my arm. He's a guard, and he's shouting at me to get back. His hands push me out of the way, and I cower behind a potted plant as more agents fire at something around the corner. The gunshots are like a tortuous symphony.

Pain hits me over and over again, and the shadows I tamed in the bathroom burst out. Agony pierces my heart. I shrink back, pulling my knees up to my chest. Inky black covers my skin, and ice cold pain shoots through my head everyt ime I breath in.

I'm cold. My blood turns to ice in my veins. I don't know how many people have died tonight, but each time they take their last breath, a figure of them appears in my vision, and torment clouds everything. Everywhere I turn, darkness follows.

The last time I felt this much pain was when Shaw blew up an oil rig on the coast of Russia. 152 lives were lost that day, and I will never forget their screams. It haunted me for weeks, giving me more unsteady nightmares until Emma was forced to sit by my side and keep me calm,or Shaw would take all the pain away with his mutation.

Gunshots splatter the air, bursting forth as if they are a butterfly from a cocoon. Somewhere in the distance, a woman is yelling.

I place my hands over my ears, trying to drown out the wailing of a dozen lives flickering out all at once. The shadows grip my chest, and I can feel darkness oozing out of my ears. I'm too numb for the pain to cause me to scream. All I can see is darkness.

This can't be happening, this can't be happening, this can't be happening. But it is, I know it is. Another boom shakes the whole building, and more gunshots rock the halls. Several guards run past, their rifles cocked.

I think I'm going to faint.

When I was with Shaw, I felt like the world could end at any moment. Now, it feels as if the world is coming to a close. I feel that if I take one more step, I might be sent into oblivion.

"Leena!" I look up through black eyes, turning my head around for the source of that familiar voice. Younger than others, mischief lining each syllable. I open my mouth, but it's coated with shadows, swallowing my voice.

I can't speak. I can't move. I'm frozen in a nightmare and I can't get out.

The moment I think about it, the shadows come to a stop. They freeze around me, floating softly around my mind. The darkness creeps through my veins, slow and precise. I look up, my head stiff from staying still for so long. The corridor is dark, but out the window, bodies are strewn across the green, their corpses pooling with blood.