06 | growing pains

CHAPTER SIX...

"We should think of code names!" Raven says enthusiastically. "We're Government agents now, we should have secret code names."

I'm sitting a little ways away from the group of recruits, my feet up on a metal table, listening to the new mutants speak like old friends. A deck of cards sits in front of me, as well as a half finished soda. I pick up the cards and begin to shuffle them. Anything to keep myself distracted.

It's been a day since my failed training with Erik and Charles, and I haven't had the courage to speak to them again. My mind still goes back to the shadows of Erik's mind, of the way I couldn't even twist his pain into energy. Of Shaw's obscure face. Of his glinting eyes.

"I want to be called Mystique." Raven continues. I turn to face the group. They all lounge around, sipping on beers. Every one of them is smiling. They're happy to be here, I realize. They want to fight, and they're not afraid of what they can do.

The only other miserable looking person here besides me is Alex, who rests his head on one hand, looking thoroughly unamused. I wonder what happened to him to make him like he is today. I heard from Hank that he was in solitary confinement, but can't begin to think why.

"Damn, I wanted to be called Mystique!" Sean says from where he sits cross legged on a couch, closest to me. For a moment, a tiny hint of a smile appears on my face, but it's gone in an instant.

Raven chuckles. "Well, tough, I called it." Suddenly, I'm no longer looking at Raven, but Sean. Right where Raven used to be. I haven't seen her use her mutation yet, and I stifle an impressed gasp. She is an exact copy of the Sean sitting near me. Down to the mischievous glint in his eyes.

"Whoa!" Darwin exclaims, and everyone laughs. Sean practically jumps out of his seat.

"I'm way more mysterious than you." Raven-Sean says, and she sounds exactly like the younger boy. Sean puts down his drink and everyone claps. I look at Raven.

If only I could have a mutation like hers, where she wasn't afraid of even touching someone.

"Darwin, what about you?" Raven says. Darwin sits up a bit straighter and grins.

"Well, uh, Darwin's already a nickname," he says. "And, you know, sort of fits. Adapt to survive and all." He holds up a hand and gets up from where he sits.

"Check this out." he continues. Darwin saunters over the large fish tank near the wall. I frown, but can't help being intrigued. For some reason, this whole showcase of abilities helps me forget my own. And I really want to forget. Darwin dunks his head into the murky water, and in an instant, bluish pink gills sprout on the side of his head, allowing him to breath. Darwin turns his head towards us and opens his mouth, showing off his skills.