My Type

I follow Tony up two floors to a rec room of sorts. There is a pool table, ping pong table, a huge TV with different game consoles.

We walk over to the ping pong table and Tony hands me a paddle. Neither of us say anything as he serves and we start playing. With consistent rally's going on for a few minutes, there is a sense of peace in the air. The repeating sound of the ball hitting the table and paddles I get lost in a trance of silence, only focusing on the game.

"So, are you okay?" I hear, pulling me out of my trance and causing me to miss the ball. I turn my head following the sound but quickly bringing my attention back to Tony.

"Hm?" I ask.

"Are you okay?" He questions again, as I look for the ball that I missed. Looking around the room, I think of an answer. 

"I mean, I don't know." I reply, reaching under a coffee table for the ball. Walking back to the ping pong table I continue, "I guess life is pretty bizarre right now and it's kind of hard to wrap my head around everything that has happened within the past few days.

"But I'd say I'm fine." I say, giving a little shrug before serving. He catches the ball, and stares at me, "Hey that's against the rules," I joke.

Tony averts his eyes, letting out a small sigh before looking back up at me, "I mean it Lily. Are you okay?" I stare back at him. I don't answer right away. I look away from him, fidgeting with my paddle. I taking in a hesitant breath, "I don't really know," I look at him, "I'm not okay but I'm not sure what I am, if that makes sense.

"Okay give it back, my serve." I say, reaching my arm out in a grabbing motion. He lets out a small smile before tossing the ball back to me.

We continue playing for about half an hour, rubbing it in the other's face when one of us get a point even though neither of us are keeping track. It's nice though, like a pause from reality. 

"Do you want to do something else?" Tony asks, upset that he hasn't gotten a point in ten rallies. 

"Yeah sure," I say, "just don't make me pick."

"You said you like movies, have a favourite?" He asks, tossing the paddle up in the air and catching it a few times.

A small smile creeps onto my face, "uh, yeah, I have a few. Have a specific genre?"

"Either action or comedy," he says, leaving the option up to me.

"How about a bit of both?" I suggest, he walks over to the TV, tossing a remote to me.

Turning on the TV, I pull up the movie 'Mr. Right'

"Seriously?" Tony asks, "I didn't say romantic comedy,"

"Yeah, it's not really a romantic comedy. It's an action movie that happens to have a lot of comedy and focuses around a relationship," I say, defending it.

He rolls his eyes, sitting on the couch, "Trust me, I don't like romcoms, I wouldn't make you watch one that was just that," I say, about to sit down on the couch. Do I sit next to him? Or is that too weird. I sit down on the opposite side of the couch, leaning on the arm rest. 

As we start the movie and 'My Type' comes on during the title sequence, I take time to think. Over the span of a few days, my entire life has really been flipped upside down. I have no clue what's about to happen. And what if Tony isn't my dad? Do I just leave and pretend none of this happened? Or what if he is my dad, what the hell would happen then?

A force my way out of my thoughts, bringing my attention back to the screen, then to Tony. I let out a small laugh when I see his face. It's all scrunched up in a look of disgust, "what's with the face?" I ask him.