Morning Pages!

Today I wanted to talk about morning pages.  I was first introduced to morning pages by my grandmother two years ago during a time I think qualifies as my worst depression ever.  Morning pages is just a practice of writing 3 pages in a journal or notebook every morning (I do mine after breakfast!).  You literally write about whatever you want, whatever is going through your head: the good, the bad, the ugly.  It's a chance for you to organize your thoughts, vent out your feelings, talk about your hopes, wants, to-do lists, dreams, people that you like, that inspire or annoy you, your favorite things, memories, personal monsters, role models, who you'd be if you were a superhero, anything, anything, anything, etc.  If you can't think of anything to say, you can actually write three pages of "I don't know. I don't know. I don't know," but you'll often start to think about something you want to write about while you’re doing that.  You're welcome to write more than three pages if you have the time, but three pages is the minimum.  I generally go a little over three pages to finish my thoughts, but then I stop because I know tomorrow is another day to write more and that I'm the type of person who if I where to try to write ten pages everyday, would get burned out and quit.  

In all honesty, I was not very consistent with my morning pages way back when, but I am now because it is such a great way to start my day.  And if you miss a day, don’t freak out.  This is your private activity, so you shouldn’t be feeling any pressure whatsoever about your performance. 

I know that finding the motivation the do things is one of the hardest parts of depression, and I promise Morning Pages can make a difference.  I found that the free flow of thought in the morning created a snowball effect that got me moving.  When I was depressed, I didn't want to do anything, nothing seemed worthwhile, but writing morning pages easily got my wheels turning again and helped rekindle my interest in life.

If you can't physically write for whatever reason, then try an audio journal. Record yourself talking for ten minutes (that's how long it usually takes me to finish one of my own morning pages sessions).  NO excuses! If there's a will, there's a way. You can obliterate your depression. 

"Morning Pages are three pages of longhand, stream of consciousness writing, done first thing in the morning. *There is no wrong way to do Morning Pages*–they are not high art. They are not even “writing.” They are about anything and everything that crosses your mind– and they are for your eyes only. Morning Pages provoke, clarify, comfort, cajole, prioritize and synchronize the day at hand. Do not over-think Morning Pages: just put three pages of anything on the page…and then do three more pages tomorrow." ~Julia Cameron

Rules to remember:

#1. Write a minimum of 3 pages everyday.

#2. Keep it private.  

#3. Write about whatever you want, whatever is flowing through your one-of -kind brain.

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Go buy a pretty journal that makes you happy (though any kind of paper will do) and start your morning pages!!!